1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did NBC snub gay diver?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I love my dead gay diver son.[/heathersII]

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Exactly. And FWIW, an NBCOlympics.com article (before the Games) about soccer player Natasha Kai included a quote about a tough breakup she had with her girlfriend. So I wouldn't say it's a vast conspiracy designed to keep the gays down or anything like that.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Uh huh ... otherwise, they've had to throw women's softball out of the Olym ... uh oh ...

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

About 75 percent of the sports in the Olympics nowadays shouldn't be in the Olympics. Softball was one of them.

5. I believe he is one of the first openly-gay male Olympic athletes in a "major" sport (not horse jumping or whatever). If someone was the first midget to win a gold, you might mention it, even if everyone could see it was the case.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

NBC could've said it's an Amurrrican network and is concentating on Amurrricans. End of story.

7. partain

partain Member

Are we still talking about the diver? Diving is a major sport now? I'd bet you couldn't find five people on this board who've watched diving on television other than the Olympics. Just because NBC put it in primetime for a week doesn't make it a major sport.

And to answer an earlier question, yes I would have a problem with my son being gay. Would I kick him out of the house or disown him? No. But he would know that I didn't approve of his lifestyle choice.

And to put this in more of a proper perspective, I'd also like to be able to watch a sporting event without PG-13 rated commercials featuring scantily-clad women who are turned on by potato chips or soft drinks. I'd also like to see less CSI commercials during games. I enjoy the show a lot, but there's a reason my son doesn't get to watch it.

Basically, we just watch a lot less television these days.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Partain, if you'll allow me to ask you some questions:

What does it mean if the diver is or is not gay? How does it affect you or yours? If I am not mistaken, you said your son is two and mimics everything he sees. Do you really think that if he heard said diver is gay, your son would automatically start imitating the diver? Really, what does it matter? Who cares if the diver is gay or straight? Who cares if the diver is black, white, Hispanic or Asian or any other ethnic group? What does any of this matter?

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, then why is it a slight if NBC doesn't delve into his gayness?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Gayness? What is gayness? Is that anything like his sexual orientation?

NBC should not have apologized for not bringing the topic up, because it was irrelevant. But, if they did, what would have happened? Would it have ruined American youth?

It is a painfully stupid argument--both sides--that becomes more depressing by the day. Gay. Straight. Black. White. It does not matter.

11. partain

partain Member

That's my point. I don't want to hear them talking about him being gay. Yet they felt the need to apologize for not mentioning it. It doesn't matter when watching a sporting event, and because of that, I don't want it mentioned. But a lot of folks on here seem to think it should have been.

My son is 2, so most of this doesn't matter. But I don't want him to believe that this lifestyle is OK. There are a lot of people who believe that if they keep exposing the country to this in television shows, sports, etc., that it will become accepted. In many cases it has. But in my house it's not acceptable. That's why I don't read him books that talk about kids having two mommies or two daddies.

We also need to be careful in comparing gay/straight to asian/white/black. Those are apples and oranges and shouldn't be talked about as if they are the same thing. People have no control over their race. Of course, that's an argument that might be best suited to a different board.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

People do not have control over their sexual orientation, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted