1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did NBC snub gay diver?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Aug 27, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think NBC was worse off even addressing the "issue."

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs W and I both thought he was gay, but didn't they keep on showing him with a female after each dive?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There were more than 10,000 athletes in the Olympics. I have a hard time believing NBC or anybody could or should know the sexual preference of all of them.
    I'm also baffled that a gay-rights activist would object to the omission of such a reference in this case. As a society, aren't we supposed to evolve to the point where these things aren't mentioned? It is an athletic competition, isn't it?
    As for the decision to show other male athletes' wives or girlfriends: They're not shown because they've been known to have sex with the athlete; they're shown because they're known to be supportive of him.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

NBC is in a no-win situation either way.

Don't say he's gay and someone gets upset.

Say he's gay and someone says "Why make an issue of it?"

5. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Oh my god, would you PC people STFU! All partain was saying was he/she enjoyed watching his/her son imitate sporting events. Who cares about the other BS!

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, bite me. I don't tell you and your kind to shut up. Please don't say the same to those of us who feel like Flash.

He also said he didn't want his son exposed to gays. I'm so sorry that you are incapable of dealing with people who are different from you.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Indeed. You may be opposed to political correctness, but who's to say our opinions are any less valid than yours?

It sure as fuck ain't you.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

NBC should be embarrassed.
    For apologizing.
    Why should viewers care about a diver's sexual orientation?
    Actually, if NBC should apologize for anything, it should be showing so much freaking diving in primetime. It's got to be the most agonizing of all sports to watch. Did he make a big splash?

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Kinda like this ...

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't consider myself politically correct. Matter of fact, I'm often far from it.

I do, however, believe in equal rights for everyone and educating our children to be understanding of others and their beliefs.

11. sg86

sg86 Member

I didn't think Mitcham was obviously gay. I thought Fincham was clearly gay though. But that's irrelevant.

The Guo Jingjing thing isn't comparable.
    a) Guo was seen as a huge favorite going into the Olympics. Mitcham was not, making it harder for pieces on him to be planned.
    b) Guo's boyfriend was the grandson of the most powerful Hong Kong-ian in the nation the Olympics were being held. As far as we know Mitcham's partner is in no way relevant to China itself.

People's love lives were generally left out unless they involved someone famous or one of the other athletes. If they'd crammed it down our throat like the people from that link would like, he'd be known as "the gay diver" and not "the guy who pulled off a near impossible dive to overcome a 30 point deficit in the final round" thereby undermining his accomplishments.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Who would it be, then?

Draft saved Draft deleted