1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did NBC snub gay diver?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MTM, Aug 27, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It wasn't a piece. It was discussed during every round she competed.

I don't think they need to do a piece on him, but if you're going to show the family and friends of other competitors, his should be shown as well.

And how would it mess up a good thing to talk about an athlete's family? I mean it's just his family, the people he loves, just like you love your son and family.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You watch a major league baseball game and they usually don't tell you whether the player with a Hispanic name is Venezuelan or Mexican or Dominican or comes from a family that's lived in California for five generations unless there is some reason for saying so. I see not much point in saying the diver is gay beyond the obvious opportunity for the network to demonstrate how diversity-minded it is: Look, folks, we have a gay one here, and he doesn't mind us saying so! And next up, we'll be accosting passers-by in the Castro District for some gays-in-the-street perspectives on this very fascinating issue! Instead of apologizing they should have said they don't consider gayness a curiousity anymore.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

So every time a person is gay we are supposed to mention it. OK, how about straight people, as they stated above.

Tom Hammond: Usain Bolt, who is a straight man, crosses the finish line in 19.30 in a new world record in the 200.

Jesus, everyone is way too PC. Who gives a shit if a person is gay or straight, it doesn't affect the type of person they are.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I don't think his sexuality should be an issue discussed on TV, but if they are going to show the family of other athletes, they shouldn't single his out.

I know they probably thought it would be too taboo to mention his partner, because the folks of the bible belt might not like it. Well guess what NBC, Christians should know that even though they don't condone it, they are not the ones determining salvation and are not supposed to judge people.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I watched the final round of diving and immediately pegged him as gay or at least incredibly effeminate.

Doesn't matter, though, and so what if NBC didn't mention it. The network didn't mention the family or partner of every single athlete they profiled or showed or discussed.

Gay or straight, so what? Dude nailed the dives and won a gold. He's a great athlete.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The ads being pulled into this page are interesting.

Seriously, the technology that knows to do that is still amazing to me, even though it's not new.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

So if your son was shown a TV shot of a man's boyfriend, he would want to go out and imitate the diver by getting a boyfriend? And it would be a bad thing if your son was gay?

You need to get out more.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So what exactly did NBC do wrong?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all the time NBC spent talking about Dara Torres being a mom, I didn't hear a mention of the father once, I don't know if Torres is still with her partner (a doctor), but NBC did mention the love triangle involving the European swimmers.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

What NBC did wrong is apologize for something that needed no apology to satisfy a special interest group.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

IIRC, NBC did cut several times to a cluster of Australians cheering for him. If the partner was sitting by himself, it may simply have been that the director thought the visual of 6-8 other athletes cheering was better. But if the partner was in that group and NBC knew it, their silence is a political choice.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

His mannerisms was plenty of evidence that he was gay, though it's never a lock.

And no, I'm not homophobic, nor do I have any sort of bias against gays. If you look back at previous posts, I've been pretty outspoken that gays should be afforded every single matrimony right that straights have.

Something our presidential candidates are terrified of believing in.

Draft saved Draft deleted