1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did MLB Make A Mistake By Putting A Team In DC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is a cop out as an excuse for bad numbers. They're on TV, MASN has two networks and the Nats are on one and the Orioles on the other. Which one from night to night? Who knows but it is easy enough to find out. Click on one. If the Nats are there, O's fans go to the other and vice versa.
    EVERY game is on TV. They do a pregame. They do a postgame. That Angelos owns MASN can't be blamed for the ridiculously low TV numbers. Oh how I wish he could. They're a bad team and watching is painful. That's a bigger reason.

The Caps numbers sucked until they got good and then suddenly everybody up there was a Caps fan. The area isn't like some, where they turn out en masse no matter what (the Redskins being a very notable exception). Wizards, Caps and Nats need to win to get big numbers on the air and live.

I went to a Nats game earlier this year, very early. I think it was the first full weekend series at the park and the numbers were not good. Nats were getting used by Tim Hudson, not much excitement on the field. Suddenly, my son and I hear these ginormous cheers. It took us a second to figure it out. The Caps, down 4-2 to the Flyers, were starting their comeback in the first game of that series. The TVs in the bar and restaurant were turned on to that game and most of the fans at the stadium were in there watching hockey.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, when you go up to see the Nats, what is your travel time, door to gate?

Do you use the Metro?

Do you have a parking pass?

How long does it take to get home?

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Is Portland the next logical place for MLB? Seriously, if a team -- say the Marlins -- were to move, where would they land?

4. There are two reasons to watch a losing baseball team.
    1) force of habit from a lifetime of watching.
    2) to bitch about how the team's not as good as in the glory days

Washington has neither of those going for it, so I think the numbers they are getting should be considered high. Attendance is better than the last few years in Montreal and revenue is probably better too due to higher prices. In Montreal there was no english TV or radio in the last few years, so any viewers and listeners they get now are an improvement.

You can't determine whether it was a mistake until the team is actually good. If they don't show up for a successful team or a team with a history of success, then it's time to judge the decision. Some aspects of the team are well on their way to getting there in the next few years. Assuming the Lerners aren't evicted for refusing to pay rent.

5. 93Devil

Indianapolis, Charlotte or Nashville would be the first to come to mind.

6. 93Devil

Door-to-door from a rental place of mine in NOVA to the Nats' park is about 60 miles.

Trying to get there with DC traffic at 7 pm would be, I'm assuming, two hours. Using the Metro would take probably 90 minutes.

Going home, who knows?

There is a very big stigma about driving around DC before 7 pm because of all of the traffic problems. If you live close to a Metro Stop, which not many people do, then you are golden.

There are an amazingly few number of people that live in the District of Columbia. It's about 600,000 with another 5.4 million living around the city. The Metro just does not reach that many of the 5.4 million, so they drive.

And nobody wants to drive any distance between the hours of 5-7 in DC.

On Sundays, it's worse because of all of the vacationers going home on I-95.

7. Moderator1

60 miles? Your place ain't in NOVA!!

Without traffic, I get to the stadium in 2 1/2 hours. It's about 130 miles. I drive straight there, pony up 20 and park. Two blocks from the interstate. I sometimes stay with my brother, who lives 10 minutes from the park.
    I won't get on Metro again unless I am dead. What a zoo. It is fine going. Afterward, when everyone is leaving at the same time, it is a cattle call to get on the train and then you wait 20 minutes for the next one if you have to transfer. No fucking thanks. I have also parked at RFK and ridden the free bus. Very nice alternative and I ought to do that every time. But it adds another half hour so I just suck up the 20 and park.

It was funny, at first they encouraged everyone to ride the Metro. Now, they beg them to come and pay the parking. Many lots, most of them mostly empty.

Food/drink prices are reasonable in relation to other ballparks. Still outrageous in relation to the real world. I will not drink a $7 beer.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I got two Nats giveaway hats at the '04 SportsJournalists.com outing. One to shit in and one to cover it up with.

They're fine hats, though.

9. Moderator1

Were they different than the hats we got in '05?

10. 93Devil

Fredericksburg is NOVA!!!

NOVA ends when the gridlock traffic stops and that is the 130 or 126 exit on I-95.

It probably only takes you an hour to get to Fred (tops) so you are still a ways alway. Plus, one fender bender on 95 and you have missed 30-45 minutes of the game.

You did verify my thought that it is a terrible hassle to go to a game.

I went to see a Redskin night game a while back, and I think I got home (in Richmond) at 1 am when the game ended at 11. I thought I was going to fall asleep at the wheel.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mixed up the years, sorry about that. They were kids hats anyway.

12. Moderator1

It is not a terrible hassle to go to a game. We leave the house, drive, park, go to the game, get in the car and go home. It is a terrible expense but not a terrible hassle.
    The Redskins still charge 25 to park in a shuttle lot? My kid waited almost two hours for a bus after one of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted