1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did MLB Make A Mistake By Putting A Team In DC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 26, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those numbers suck, and I'm just grateful we didn't hear some poor flack explain that since its an election year, people in Washington are focused on other things.
    DC is always going to be a Redskins town and if you're out of the race by the time the skins report to camp, good luck in gathering a crowd.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I wonder if the error wasn't in failing to locate the team in Northern Virginia, a real boom area. D.C. sucks donkey balls.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But you should be able to draw more than 9,000 households in D.C. metro with any random thing. Test patterns, Yahweh Ben Yahweh infomercials, a goatse/tubgirl/lemonparty slide show.

Maybe the moral of the story is baseball dies on I-95 once you reach the Maryland/Delaware line.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, two years of goodwill and increased attendance...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. bueller

bueller Member

Give Elijah Dukes two years to properly "populate" the district and those ratings will soar.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If the Marlins (or any other MLB team for that matter) were to move to Portland, I would no longer be hesitating on a possible move to the PDX.

C'mon Portland...get the MLB on your side!

I also have to say I'm shocked this got to page 2 without Moddy chiming in.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's why I find that number so astonishing. Nine thousand? In a metro area that size? That's a high school football crowd, not a major league TV audience.

8. remember, the nats are no. 2 on their "own" network. angelos owns the majority of masn, so he has the nats by the balls.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, Ducky? Thread started after midnight. I get up at 5 on workdays. Midnight is way too late for me. I went to bed after watching the Nats win last night. I don't count in the numbers, I'm outside the Metro area.
    Why would I be mad at Headbutt? He's asking a legitimate question. And yes, my friend, we will do a game before the season ends. I have three left in my plan, but our playing schedule may prevent me from attending one.

I love the Nats. I'm the ultimate Fanboy. I waited for 33 years for a team in my hometown.
    But I'm also a realistic Fanboy and I'll be the first to admit that team has lots of problems. I'm extremely disappointed in the way this season has unfolded (though I have seen three game-winning home runs in person and met the hitter of one of them in Seattle). I'm willing to give the team ONE mulligan - eager to see what changes they make in the offseason. I know one that better be made the day after the season ends, or sooner.

I didn't expect much this year. I did expect more than this. As a fan, I invest a lot of money and time. My season tickets cost a lot. Getting up there costs a lot. If The Queen and I get ONE thing to eat and ONE drink it is another 30 bucks. We often bring the kids and a sig O or a friend. So you throw in more food and a couple of beers and it is 100 bones on top of everything else for a night at the park.

For that money, I want to see a first-class, major league effort. I think they've pruned most of the assholes (I don't think you can ever be rid of them these days, unfortunately). I think they have some fine young talent. They need a lot more. They better go after a couple of free agents hard. What will CC cost??

As for that first-rounder thing, F him. Nats were more than reasonable on that one. Obvious from the start the kid didn't want to play for the Nats. Instead, his agents have him turn down more than $3.5 million and send him to an independent league. Quality advice there.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Moddy: Here in Northeast Ohio, we faced the very real threat of losing the Indians if a new ballpark wasn't built.

I remember that sick feeling in my gut that did not dissolve until the deal to build The Jake was signed, sealed and delivered.

I hope it works out in the capitol city. Best to you and the Nats.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, the Nats have their park. And it isn't the greatest but it's a major upgrade and very nice and will do the job *** the rest is up to them.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This really can't be emphasized enough. Others here will remember the details better than I, but the Nats at first didn't even have a tv contract; then, their big deal is held by the Orioles owner, ensuring second-class status. It was an incredible ownership fuck-up which put the franchise behind from the start.

Draft saved Draft deleted