1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did MLB Make A Mistake By Putting A Team In DC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

I caught a Nats-Reds game when I was in town earlier this season, but only because I bought a couple of $3 nosebleed seats off StubHub to check out the park. Someone else hit the nail on the head, its Citizen's Bank Park with a crappy neighborhood around it instead of parking lots.

Everyone laughed when Selig talked contraction five or six years ago, but with Tampa, the Marlins and DC all having issues and seemingly nowhere for these teams to go, maybe there are too many teams. The one problem with all three places is that most of the people who live in those towns are transplants. Miami also has the whole it rains every afternoon issue, while Tampa's stadium sucks and is a PITA to get to. Also, Miami is just not a sports town, what would you rather do, go to a game or South Beach? The Dolphins only draw when they are winning, and the Hurricanes, they don't draw even when they are winning.

I am guessing that the Nats aren't going anywhere because they just got a new park, but lets contract the two Florida teams. After that, if the Nats or any other team needs to move, either try to get a stadium built in Montreal (the people would come if the stadium was downtown and didn't look like a spaceship) or a third team in the NYC area. Maybe knock down some of the Yankees economic advantage.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They're not contracting anyone. They're not going back to Montreal. They're not putting a third team in NYC Metro.

3. isn't florida getting a retractable-roof stadium in miami? i thought it was a done deal?

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Montreal strip bars are EXCELLENT. No, MLB didn't make a mistake moving the team out of Montreal. However, the organization itself is screwed up. It used to come up with some of the best Latin America talent available. Now....

Draft saved Draft deleted