1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Mitt Romney assault a prep school classmate?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, May 10, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When you are running for the most important office on the planet, nothing is offlimits. I want to know if either candidate didn't want to share in pre-K snacktime.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, there's a good, larger question.

Should newspapers be concerned about the appearance of where they send their reporters to chase a story like this?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did they send him to Michigan to do this kind of story, or did they send him to Michigan to do a story -- as they do with every candidate -- and this is what he came back with?

4. jr/shotglass

Another good question. I have no idea.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a very fair point.

I know they had comments from people who were there, but it's something that happened 47 years ago and the two people most involved either wouldn't comment or weren't alive to give their side of the story.

If I was an editor and I sent a reporter out to do a story on Obama and he came back with a similar story from 30+ years when he was in high school, I would have a very hard time justifying running the story.

6. jr/shotglass

Ah, but in some places, if you send somebody more than 1,000 miles, you are going to run something by them to justify the expense.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep. Amazing how easily assaulting someone with scissors is downgraded to "boys will be boys" to consensual hazing.

And dammit quit making this stuff up and dredging it up now. Well you know what? Don't like it? Don't do it. Then 47 years later there will be nothing to write or talk about. Hate it when people blame the messenger. How about blaming the culprit if you don't like what's being written?

Romney was a bully (that's now a documented fact) and history does not show that he's changed (IMHO).

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agree.

Also agree. That's the cold hard truth of the business -- even at the New York Times, there is a lot of feeding the beast.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Given how much play bullying and gay marriage have gotten in the news, lately, you'd be hard pressed not to run it.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cutting someone's hair is not "assaulting them with scissors"

That's the same thinking that gets kids arrested for sexual assault when they snap a girls' bra strap.

Is it a nice thing to do? No...

And if this was some kind of a trend with Romney, I'm guessing we would have heard more about it by now...

11. jr/shotglass

What if he had been running with those scissors? Huh?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Holding them down and cutting it against their will certainly is.

Draft saved Draft deleted