1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Michigan get shafted by Tressel's abstaining from the vote?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm no mathemetician, and I don't even play one on TV, so I'm asking. Could that have been the difference? The formula doesn't simply go by 1, 2, 3, etc., but the actual poll points. Has anyone worked this out yet? I'd be interested to know.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. He would have had to leave Florida off the ballot.

3. They probably did.
    I don't care.
    I'd still rather see USC in that game anyway.
    But, if Tressel did abstain, that game in Ann Arbor next year is must-see TV already.
    J_D -- what are all those LSU Rose Bowl tickets going for these days?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Aren't we talking about something like 16 one-thousandths of a point?

Fenian, most of the 42,500 were ticket requests, not purchases, so most LSU fans are fine. Now, about those non-refundable airplane tickets ...

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

NO.

Michigan finished 26 points behind Fla. in the coaches poll.
    Even if Tressel voted them No. 1 and left Fla off his ballot, Michigan is still 3rd in the coaches poll, a point behind Fla.
    And it still trails Fla. in the BCS average.

6. Damn.
    Those could buy a lot of bus rides down I10 to the Sugar Bowl, couldn't they?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But what if Tressel got just one best coaching buddy to vote the same?

26 becomes 13.

Just saying.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

No. They got shafted by half of the moron voters.

Oops. Do I sound bitter?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The voters are morons. That applies to the media, the coaches and the Harris poll...

The only reason Florida is playing in that game is because people don't want to see a rematch. I understand that, but the point of the system is to pair up the two best teams. I don't think that happened...

Meyer also helped himself by shamelessly lobbying. That was smart on his part to do and stupid on Lloyd Carr's part not to do.

I don't feel sorry for Michigan as much as I just hate the system.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Rather see USC in that game? They should not have tanked that game on Saturday. That's too bad and so sad. Pete, take your team back to Pasadena and beat Michigan. The Rose Bowl will be a great grudge match.

Mizzou, remember, all of that shameless plugging helped Mack Brown....

And of course the voters are morons or just lazy. They are not going to watch every single game and all of the top ten teams in America. What the fuck else did all of us expect them to do? Sit comatose in front of the t.v. all Saturday?

Get rid of the human polls if that's going to be the case and rip the polls from the coaches.

Let Jeff Sagarin's geeky computer figure it out.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm all for the computer doing all of it... You can't lobby the computer...

Or here's an idea...

YOU HAVE A FUCKING PLAYOFF!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted