1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Kobe & the Warriors combine for the greatest regular season NBA night ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We went over this on the Kobe retiremtment thread in December and decided Songbird was crazy then too.

Songbird likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It irks me that when you say someone was one of the 15 or 20 greatest players in NBA, some will not acknowledge that means you are calling that someone an historically unbelievable player. To me, Bryant's biggest accomplishment was being a star on two multiple championship teams close to a decade apart. Yeah, they all wore Laker uniforms, but except for him the personnel were utterly different. The only other guys I can think of who did that were Russell and John Havlicek.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Was there any doubt this was coming? Death, taxes and Gee guiding basketball threads toward the 60s Celtics. Especially Havlicek, the guy really has a thing for Havlicek.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't there another guy who played guard for the Lakers who managed to score a bunch of points and be a great, great player on outstanding teams without being a selfish ball-hog?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nick the Quick?

[​IMG]

BDC99 and TigerVols like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Stoney, it's just a fact that Havlicek was a star on the late '60s Russell team and the '74 and '76 champs with Cowens, Silas, etc. I'm not trying to puff the guy up. This is something that happened, just as what Bryant did is. That doesn't mean I think Havlicek was as good as Bryant, he wasn't. But if to go to Springfield, Mass., he's in the building. Other people put him there, not me.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yes, I know. You found a nice reason (this time the "multiple championships nearly decade apart" criteria for defining greatness) to reference some 60s Celtics. You always do. Let's just say you're more than a bit predictable in this regard. Whenever Gee joins a hoops discussion you know some geriatric Celtic names are coming with him.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably no whistle for carrying the ball, either. Gotta love how the rules of basketball have devolved.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Songbird/Xanadu does the same thing with always somehow referencing LA shit (Nick Van Exel??) and he doesn't have the excuse of being old, like Gee!

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Havlicek better than West?

Kobe was great. You bet. Also may be the biggest little bitch ass whinney Prima Donna in history. Selfish and unwilling to get along with teammates.

There may have other Prima Donnas but no one as Prima as him

11. Michael_ Gee

Havlicek was not better than West.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Here's a hot take on Kobe's night. Thing is, it's hard to entirely disagree even if there are a few "yeah, buts" you can throw in

Draft saved Draft deleted