1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Kobe & the Warriors combine for the greatest regular season NBA night ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LeBron does?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The greatest last night was when Michael Cage needed 28 boards to beat Oakley for the rebounding title and grabbed 30. #ClippersMoment

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Problem is Kobe wasnot just a story, instead he's the guy ESPN execs decided months ago would be THE story this year. The way ESPN grossly over-covered him this season was reminiscent of its Tebow/Manziel/Lebron lunacy of prior years, with selling their anointed "big personality" taking priority over legit sports news. And it doesn't matter that he's (now) a barely marginal player stumbling through a woeful 17-65 season (just like it didn't matter that Tebow/Manziel sucked), because it had already been decided that he'd be daily focus all season long.

73-9 was absolutely the bigger and far more historically significant story, but not surprised at all that ESPN chose to lead with Kobe. A team story vs. Kobe story? No brainer for today's ESPN.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    murphyc, HanSenSE and Tweener like this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I couldn't decide which was funnier, the family man act (with Vanessa front and center) or having his BFF Shaq there.

Tweener and poindexter like this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair point, DW. As I said, ESPN is quickly becoming a parody of itself. I can barely watch that shitshow anymore.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To be fair to ESPN, I heard more talk about Kobe in the supermarket, at tee-ball practice and on sports talk radio (non-ESPNRadio division) than about the Warriors today.

It has a lot to do with the "Holy Shit" factor. Kobe's been a shell of himself all season, so to see him reach back and find a 60-point game in his bag of tricks - in his final NBA appearance, no less - was truly astonishing. Everyone expected the Warriors to beat the Grizzlies.

The Warriors are far more impressive - I mean, single-digits in the loss column?? Holy crap - but they have more work to do.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can't credit Kobe a great deal here. Sure, he scored 60 points, but of course he scored 60 points. He took 50 shots -- the most by anybody since at least 1982-83. He finished the season with the worst FG % (.358) of any qualifier for the shooting title since 1963-64. A selfish player who happily killed his own team for two seasons while he played and for several more thereafter.

murphyc, Mr. Sunshine and heyabbott like this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was a lot of shots, but he shot 44 percent to get that 60 points. Nothing wrong with that (it's dead-on his career FG%). And his miserable team won a game.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess. But I didn't see much more than a guy who's shot poorly all season shoot poorly again (just not quite as poorly) and score 60 points only because of the sheer number of shots he took.

There have been 67 NBA games in which a single player went for 60 or more points. In only one of those did the team score fewer than the 101 the Lakers scored on Wednesday --- and that was the pre-shot clock Lakers of George Mikan in 1952. That tells me Kobe's game was woefully inefficient.

In his 81-point game, he "only" took 46 shots. That was efficient.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

As has been stated already, last night was an exhibition game between to lotto teams and in no way was as significant as the Warriors getting 73. Kobe is the most polarizing athlete of this era, but him dropping 60 in a meaningless exhibition did little to make last night great for the NBA.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Someone suggested on Twitter last night that if you give Steph Curry 50 shots, he'd get closer to 100 than 60. I'd say that's accurate.

TigerVols and BDC99 like this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Kobe is by far my most despised athlete, but it was a significant story. But nowhere near an NBA record that will be tough to break. It's not close. The argument that everyone knew they would beat the Grizzlies is absurd. Doesn't matter if they played the Sixers (or even Lakers). I grew up 0n ESPN but I'm actually rooting for people to keep pulling the plug and seeing it go the way of the dodo. It gets worse by the day.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted