1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Jeffrey Dahmer kill Adam Walsh?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/news.html?news_id=41218

What a read.

2. I hate to admit this, but I know a lot more about the Dahmer case than I should. Very little in this story fits Dahmer's established MO. He did not approach people loudly and drunkenly in public. He met them at bars or through classified ads. And very few, if any, of his victims were as young as Adam Walsh. (The youngest was Konerak Sinthasomphone, the Laotian boy whom the Milwaukee PD notoriously handed back to Dahmer after the latter talked the cops into it, saying it was a gay lovers spat.) Dahmer's victims were primarily adult men.
    Good read, though.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I don't know much about the case (not like F_B), but it really was a good read and brought up some interesting aspects. I guess the one thing that interested me most is that most of the information that keeps police away from thinking he killed Adam Walsh comes from Dahmer's "confessed" murders. Easy enough to confess to certain murders that establish the pattern Dahmer wanted to establish. That leaves police with plenty enough to do to hunt down his confessions, let alone anything he might leave unspoken. Maybe that's giving Dahmer too much credit.

But definitely an interesting piece.

4. Of course, the cops at the time had more than enough evidence of Dahmer's "confessed" murders, most of it in the freezer, on the altar of skulls, in the drum full of cleaning solvent, and, on one occasion, in his locker at work. And, having read the entire 100+ page handwritten account of his confession, I feel fairly safe in saying that, at that point, Dahmer was so exhausted by his crimes that he wasn't thinking clearly enough to direct the cops away from anything. He really spilled his guts.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that is a good, thought-provoking story. Lot of work went into that.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This thread makes a lot more sense than the other one where I saw the same link.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34913/

Looks like Columbo finally got it right.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

They hit on that through his father's quotes, I believe.

This was definitely pre-Milwaukee Jeffrey.

The access to the blue van, the two men reacting as they did and the beheading is pretty decent circumstantial stuff.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

One thing I would say.

Dahmer may have figured that confessing to the most famous child murder since the Lindbergh baby would have created a situation ... in court and in prison that he didn't want to deal with.

As it was, he got that treatment in prison.

9. Yeah, but even the pre-Milwaukee Jeffrey, who was, as Skoda says on L&O "refining his technique," didn't go after children that young. And, not to be too gross about it, he didn't leave heads behind.
    And I still maintain that he wasn't calculating on the level you seem to think he was after he got busted. He was fried. This sounds to me like frustrated cops trying finally to close a famous case, which is exactly why there is (at least) one other murderer walking around who killed kids in Atlanta back in the 1970's and '80's.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think the cops liked this case being dredged up again.

And, being familiar with many, many serial killers, one of Dahmer's steps to refining the technique definitely could have been just cutting the head off.

And, regarding Walsh being too young.... Dahmer started by torturing small animals as a tween.

11. And, when he finally stepped up to human beings, his first victim was a grown man, whose body he stashed away.
    I like the story. I'm just not compelled by a whole bunch of coincidences.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I understand.

I'm inclined to agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted