1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I just hear??????

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, May 27, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

... Scoop Jackson compare speeding to dogfighting on "Outside the Lines?"

Now, I know kneecapping Scoop is an SportsJournalists.com hobby. And I know the horse has been bludgeoned into an unrecognizable blob.

But I don't frequently watch "OTL" and I NEVER read Scoop because he's an imbecile.

Dogfighting = speeding? The stupidity is relentless.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love to see Scoop in a dogfight.

How about Scoop and Whitlock in a UFC bout?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The very brief clips of dogfighting the showed on SC this morning were enough to gross both me and my girlfriend out.

If Scoop truly compared dogfighting to speeding, he's dumber than I thought, and that's saying something.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It was Scoop, he did and he is.

Those images I saw turned my stomach as well, Zeke. And spare me the cultural, Southern, rural, lower-class bullshit, Scoop. There IS no defense for this.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'd like to sick a pitter on Scoop just for kicks.

BTW, Vegas says that Whitlock would get Scoop Jerkson to tap out late in the second round.

6. Dog fighting is unspeakably cruel. I didn't watch the OTL broadcast and I won't weigh in on the Scoop Jackson is/isn't a douche bag debate, but anyone with an ounce of humanity wouldn't compare dog fighting to speeding. Dog fighting is absolutely horrible.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

If you can sit and watch dogs fight to the death, you are subhuman.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is by no means a defense of Scoop, but I saw the broadcast, and what Bob Ley said was something along the lines of, "Michael Vick broke the law" and Scoop's response was, "Well, yes, but speeding is against the law too, and we all know people who do it."

It wasn't so much a defense of dogfighting as it was the "It's not like he murdered someone" defense, which a fairly flawed argument in its own right.

Essentially Scoop has decided to fill the Ann Coulter role for sports journalism, and ESPN is happy to be his enabler, the same way that Fox, MSNBC and CNN are willing to enable Coulter. These cable news programs need someone to represent a completely ridiculous, often indefensible position, and play to the worst stereotypes of the groups they supposedly represent. Having someone like Jeff Chadiha express a logical and reasonable position like "dog fighting is brutal an inexcusable" doesn't give the network what it wants, which is on-air heat. So instead, Scoop comes on, and if he's not willing to actually cross the line (and take Portis' position that dog fighting is cool), he'll walk right up to it and put his toe across it. It's simply part of the intellectual rot of cable television "debate shows" and even OTL is not immune. Scoop's willingness to say anything to keep himself relevant isn't as insulting, in my opinion, as ESPN's attempt to frame "dog fighting" as a debatable issue.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

So, does that mean that the Romans were subhuman because they enjoyed watching the gladiator battles?

10. pallister

pallister Guest

There's a reason the Roman Empire crumbled.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If Peyton Manning did that, Scoop would be pushing for pound-em-in-the-ass prison as would Peyton[/hisportschick]

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This argument only holds water if you truly believe we have not progressed ethically as creatures since then.

The outlawing of slavery worldwide pretty much destroys it.

Anyone who offers any defense of dogfighting should be put in a cage with a bunch of hungry dogs that have been trained to fight.

Disgusting.

Draft saved Draft deleted