1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I just hear an F-bomb on NBC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Pay attention, will you? The "fuck" didn't come during the formal presentation to the captain. It came when the players were passing the Cup among themselves. There was no ceremony involved.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There are players, coaches and fans saying obscene things all over the building throughout the game.

NBC, which has some experience in broadcasting live events, is supposed to use its professional judgment in determining what to put on the air.

They screwed up and they deserve whatever heat they get.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

NBC's fault.

You gotta have a delay on that shit. You don't, and you're at a live event, you takes your chances.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And I reiterate: I don't think it should be an issue. But that's more a complaint with the FCC, and what type of false image of reality we think we're projecting on TV in this country.

TV is entertainment, for the most part, so in those settings it can be controlled to be whatever we want it to be. But when it's real-life stuff, like crime or sports or war or events in the community, we shouldn't be trying to manipulate it. To say "can't say this, can't do that" -- all bullshit. We say all these things in real life, and we do all those things in real life. There's no need to suppress it.

So he said "fucking right" -- we should be celebrating his passion and the extreme joy he felt in winning the ultimate prize in his sport, not :eek: at his "inappropriate" language on TV when kids might watching.

Words are words -- they're not intrinsically bad. It's the thought behind them that makes them "bad." What's the difference between saying "GOSH DARNIT" and "FUCK!"? There's no difference. You're still thinking the same thing, aren't you? You're still expressing the same emotion, aren't you? Yes and yes.

Words are words -- it's the thought and how we express them that counts.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That certainly wasn't the first f-bomb I've seen in a televised hockey game — ok, perhaps the loudest — but you see it when the cameras are on coaches all the time, if you're sitting behind the bench in any of the buildings, you hear it a thousand times. I think it's the first time I've heard that in a Stanley Cup celebration, granted, but so what?

Bug Ray Whitney if you want, but he said it. I don't see a problem with that being miced.

6. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

They just bleeped "ass" from the Heat owner.
    ABC quick on the button.

7. KP

KP Active Member

ABC is clearly on delay if they nailed it like that.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Maybe NBC didn't figure they'd ever need delay because those nice Canadian boys would never say FUCK.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pussy ass censors

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Thanks. I laughed today. Who knew?

11. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

RF...I hope that page is not on your favorites list!!

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

When there's a mike on near a celebration (or a brawl), Swearengenese sometimes falls out of people's mouths. Somebody in the truck needs to keep a finger on that mike's volume when appropriate, that's all.
    After Michael Nylander scored a shootout-winning goal in a Rangers-Bruins NBC game late in the season, he made a casual remark in the postgame interview about the Olympics final and his Czech teammates to the effect of "I still catch some shit about it." Ah, the perils of live sports.
    My favorite, though, was an early '80s Wide World of Sports light heavyweight title fight with Michael Spinks and Dwight Braxton. I still think Spinks was inspired to win by the F-bombs, uncensoreed for the home viewer, he heard his trainer fire at him after Round 9. No wonder virtually all the guys that fight on HBO have Spanish-speaking trainers.

Draft saved Draft deleted