1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I just hear an F-bomb on NBC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 19, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry buddy, but I disagree. Fox had a live camera on the ice when Scotty Stevens was handed the Cup in 1995 and I know for a fact that most Cup presentations are presented live with a sound-camera right there. It's not like 2006 was the first time they had on-ice skatearound with the Cup broadcast live.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ray Whitney said what he said. NBC captured it. It's no different than a news crew covering a disturbance and a cop yelling "Get the fuck outta here".

3. markvid

markvid Guest

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/4/afa/42006c.asp

Read the article (if you can stomach the rhetoric in it), and notice that all they say about the people who did the swearing is, eh, it happens all the time, Fox's fault.
    What a joke.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Dion Byrum just picked him off for a touchdown again. [/Bobcat fanboy loser]

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you let the loonies hijack the FCC

"The FCC was very clear in recent guidelines that were handed down that the two most offensive words in the English vocabulary included one that was used on that broadcast," Glover says.

He was referring to "shit" and "fuck". Guy obviously has a limited vocabulary.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

No wonder every 3rd word in "Deadwood" is cocksucker.

;D

7. Mutah

Mutah Member

My dear Mr. Glover: S*ck my c*ck, you f*cking stupid-*ss Bible thumper. I wish a g*dd*mned plague upon your m*therf*cking house.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

You'd think ...

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

So it's okay for your kids to watch car crashes with occasional fatalities as entertainment, but the "s" word will warp them?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You'd hope ...

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, the Hollywood types consider the former as reality, while the latter is just obscene and vulgar. Goodness knows, no messes that none of us EVER want to see ever happens in a car crash. ::)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's a fair point, markvid. But NBC understands the risk and responsibility of live TV, and one of those risks is capturing *real* human language. I don't think they should be fined for it -- I think the real "heat" should be on the FCC for fucking up the landscape of what's right or wrong on TV.

We all know the real world is not sanitized or "edited for content." So why do we expect TV, a microcosm of the real world, to be more sanitized than we are? People say fuck all the time. It's part of our language -- and if we keep treating it like it's not, like it's this horrible word that only bad people say or only means bad things, then this issue will never go away. The reality is, it's just a word, and it can mean whatever we want it to mean.

But what we see on TV is who we are -- it's a mirror on ourselves. And guess what, FCC? We say fuck. And we do fuck, sometimes even before the sun goes down. Let it go. Fuck's not a bad word -- it's just a word. What's bad is the thought you have that makes you say "FUCK!" with bad intentions behind it. But Ray Whitney did not say "FUCKING RIGHT!" with bad intentions or bad thoughts -- he said it in celebration. He said it in a moment of real, beautiful joy. ...

Just like I might blurt out with a "FUCK YEAH!" when my first child is born. And I won't give a fuck who hears it, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted