1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I just hear an F-bomb on NBC?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 19, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What is this, a Baptist Revival meeting?

So, he screamed "Fucking Right!!". Big fucking deal. As someone pointed out, this was pure emotion.

Given that the Stanley Cup playoffs are the most gruelling of any sport, that Carolina almost blew the series and that  every single player on both teams put their bodies on the line in the four rounds, that expletive was  perfectly in keeping with the moment.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Exactly. But if you're made about him saying it, don't blame him, blame NBC for showing it.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

What an awful comparison.

They know cameras are there. They don't know they're sending live sound on network TV -- nor they should they know or care. That's not their responsibility. They're not in an interview setting -- several players were with Pierre Maguire and handled it appropriately. They're on the rink -- their space -- and TV is the intruder. Don't start crying when they don't conform to TV's standards in that context.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't have a problem with the guy swearing. I cuss like a sailor (wait, I am one) all the time. But the claim of "why would he expect a camera to be in his face" is ridiculous. Of course it's going to be there. You just won the Cup. Now, as to what the FCC should do to NBC, I say nothing. It's not NBC's fault. That, however, probably won't stop the FCC.

5. Smasher_Sloan

It's not the camera, it's a camera with live sound being broadcast on network TV.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And the difference is ... what? The concept is the same. When you win a title and hoist the trophy, why would you not expect there to be cameras in your face, whether they have audio or not. You're splitting hairs instead of addressing the issue.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's awesome Flash. Don't think I've heard anyone use it that way.

As an aside, wouldn't you KNOW if someone was?

8. Smasher_Sloan

There's a huge difference. NFL coaches wear mics all the time for NFL Films. They're free to say what they want because they know it's not being broadcast live and anything inappropriate will be either edited or discarded.

The issue is NBC decided it was good idea to air live sound. How many people work in the sports division at NBC? Think they had more time to kick it around than a hockey player caught up in the moment did?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think someone correctly pointed out, this was not an interview situation. If NBC was worried about an F bomb, they should have stayed off the ice other than for formal interviews.

In supercharged situations like this, it's neither the duty nor the responsibility of the player to worry about some little old lady in Podunkville and whether she'd be offended.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, yes it is.
    As usual, we're blaming the wrong person.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why would you blame the player? He wasn't in an interview situation. He said fuck. Wow.

If NBC wanted to catch the on-ice flavour of a Stanley Cup victory, they succeeded. Perfectly.

What were they expecting? A Disney ending to a Mighty Ducks movie?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

No, but NBC is gonna take the heat for it instead of the player who actually said it.
    That's all my point is.

Draft saved Draft deleted