1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Apr 30, 2008.

1. bob

bob Member

Hey, farmer, I've been doing this for four decades and even today I had a bit of angst over the way I approached a story I wrote yesterday. So, if you feel that way, that's a good thing. It means you care and you'll excel in the long run.
    But don't do it again.

2. fremont

fremont Member

People's memories are short, both readers' and for that matter, in the newsroom. If they weren't, I'd probably have lasted all of four months in the biz. Once you get started on the next edition, the next edition's all that matters.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you mention their replacements tried hard too?

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Don't feel too bad for our friend. FarmerJerome could catch pneumonia from fetching a popsicle from the freezer.
    As for the gamer, a team minus three players is significant. If nothing else, I might have thrown it in a notes package at the end. But I've done far worse (I suspect we all have), so I wouldn't dwell on it.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Perhaps I missed a verbal tussle in the stands as well? I was on the other side of the field. ;D ;D ;D

Slappy, not only did I mention the replacements played well, but I complemented the boosters on their excellent hot chocolate.

6. fremont

fremont Member

How were the nachos in the concession stand?

I've actually covered games that sucked so bad that I felt like leading the story with "The nachos were the only thing good at Schitthoel Field Tuesday night..."

7. farmerjerome

We didn't get nachos, but Dr. J said the hot dogs were sub-par. And they were out of buns and Reese's PBC when we got there, so he had to wait.

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Touche

9. farmerjerome

I couldn't help it. I giggle everytime I think about it.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

FJ - you mention that they played the worst game you'd seen them play, but not just at the positions where they were missing the starters.
    Isn't it entirely possible that they played bad because people were out of position or these three players were key to the chemistry/flow of the team?
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. All the kids you cover are going to care about is they won and they get to read about it in the paper.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

really? i've always felt the nachos at schitthoel field were very subpar.

12. fremont

fremont Member

You need to top them with some jalapenos, Texas-style. That's the *Schitt.*

Draft saved Draft deleted