1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I cross the line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Sep 24, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Apples and bananas, SixToe.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll have a bowl, please. Strawberries, too, if you have some.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas
    I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas

I like to ate, ate, ate ay-ples and ba-nay-nays
    I like to ate, ate, ate ay-ples and ba-nay-nays

I like to eat, eat, eat ee-ples and bee-nee-nees
    I like to eat, eat, eat ee-ples and bee-nee-nees

I like to ite, ite, ite i-ples and by-ny-nys
    I like to ite, ite, ite i-ples and by-ny-nys

I like to ote, ote, ote oh-ples and bo-no-nos
    I like to ote, ote, ote oh-ples and bo-no-nos

I like to oot, oot, oot oo-ples and boo-noo-noos
    I like to oot, oot, oot oo-ples and boo-noo-noos

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

We write the news. We do not become the news. It's a very simple rule.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Simple rule. At times, impracticable. Obviously there are times where you can "become the news" by doing nothing. I think you can ask yourself this question:

Would a reasonable and objective non-journalist, put in the same situation, do the same thing? If the answer is yes, you did the right thing.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In what way did Platy become the news in that example?

7. Of course you did the right thing. You didnt become the news in any way.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know that a line has been crossed. If you're covering a tourney selection meeting and one team that has qualified has been omitted from a line-up. Or an obvious all-league selection is left off a team by error, don't journalists, whose first obligation is to the truth, have a duty to step up and question something like that?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't know if some great and sacrosanct line has been crossed. I just wouldn't have done that. Let the game play out as is. It's the coaches' job to notice and correct that stuff. Not ours.

But it's not like you're going to journalism hell for doing so.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Ah, a spot where two hoary journalistic principles meet at cross purposes. On the one hand, saying something puts you in the square of the camera instead of behind it, and that's rarely a good thing. On the other hand, ours is to report truth, is it not? Calling a banana a certain shade of yellow because that's what the grocer calls it, that's not a problem. Calling a banana a telephone because of that grocer's say-so, and now we've got a problem.

At its core, it's at worst a sin of the most venal type. If you're worried it'll be a gateway drug to screaming at refs for fucking over "your" team on the sidelines, and I've seen it happen all too often, then avoid it.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm surprised coaches didn't see it. I would have asked the question because I keep a running pbp and want to make sure I've got my numbers right. If they happen to correct it because I asked, well, that's not something I have control over.

12. statrat

statrat Member

If you have to ask I think you already know the answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted