1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Fox sideline reporter really not know Bill Walsh is dead?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 27, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I went to the site and searched for Sargent and found the story, but the link for that was really wonky so I figured anyone that wants to see it can find it. :D This is what I got from your link, BTW:

2. I didn't know Bill Walsh was dead. Or if did know, I had forgotten about it.

Still, quite a gaffe.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

In Sargent's defense, she didn't say Singletary was an ex-49er. Singletary has said that when he was considering getting into coaching, Walsh was the first person he called for advice. That fact was referred to in several stories when he took over the Niners this week, and it's probably what she was confused about. Totally inexcusable not to know that Walsh is dead, but she wasn't wrong about the mentor part.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Bill Walsh isn't dead. He just lapsed into a comma:

http://www.lapsingintoacomma.com/lapsingintoacomma.html

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Everyone knows O.J. killed Bill Walsh. :D

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Here's a good recap of the Walsh-Singletary relationship.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2008/10/the-singletary-walsh-connection.html

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw it too. Even mentioned it on the running thread. She started out talking about the three things Tom Coughlin said the Giants needed to do in the second half and she completely blanked out on the third one and couldn't find it in her notes.

Aikman gave her grief for having a "senior" moment.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not only that but this should have been covered in the pre-game production meeting so that means that she wasn't the only one on the crew who forgot he was dead.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I once wrote about something or another reviving the ghost of Legendary School Basketball Player. Dude was still alive. Fortunately, our columnist saved me.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

In not that surprising of a development, turns out Francesa's producers used the clip when they weren't supposed to. Fox didn't air the clip, but WNBC took it off the truck feed that goes out to Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN and NFL Films. It never should have aired. I find it ironic that someone who makes gaffes as much as Mike would take footage not intended for air to use to ridicule someone else.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The clip:

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

She was on the Dan Patrick Show and said that she aborted that interview and did another one once she realized her error. She meant to ask him about talking to Walsh when Singletary first got into coaching. She said that the interview never actually aired and the people who recorded it got it off a satellite feed.

Draft saved Draft deleted