1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Fox have broadcast issues for SB XLV?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Can't Michaels and Collinsworth be granted the Official Super Bowl announcing team? Even when CBS gets it.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I tried to get some Twitter friends to get #stfujoebuck going. I admit that I just kind of zone them out and just watch what develops on the screen.

When I do pay attention, I sit there thinking that I so dislike their voices that I end up not caring what they have to say.

I don't enjoy Fox's coverage in general.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Frank Gifford was known to use "yard, yard and a half" all the time.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

A thousand times THIS. Uninformed and impossibly smug is no way to go through life.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I had a problem with the audio stuttering. I had to watch the Super Bowl over the air since DirecTV doesn't carry FOX in the Bismarck, N.D., locals market. If I flipped to another channel and right back, the issue would clear up for about 15 minutes.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not really Fox's fault, but I did like it when McCarthy called for a challenge in the third quarter and the referee left his mic on. You got the first few sentences of their conversation before he realized it and cut it off. That would've been interesting to hear that.

That whole broadcast just didn't have the "big game" feel most Super Bowls have. There's usually one major innovation the Super Bowl network breaks out for the game, whether it's a new graphics package, camera angles, whatever. This one had none of that.
    Maybe the next leap forward isn't out there right now, who knows? But that broadcast just felt like your basic late Sunday afternoon game between two good teams, just with a longer pregame and halftime.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Maybe it was just my TV, but the HD seemed weird -- something with the yardlines, can't explain it. It was kind of like the effect that comes when someone wears the wrong kind of stripes (I think that's it) on TV, and the camera makes them blend together in a fuzzy way.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The common thread between the WS and SB is obviously FOX. Joe Buck is only a passenger.

I've never sensed any ESPN over-the-top jingoism, for all that net's faults. They probably just took FOX's run sheet and ran with it.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. ESPN is too worried about kissing up to the (your choice of Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cowboys, Jets, Lakers) to be jingoistic. But Buck? I find him to be ill-prepared most of the time.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There was at least one instance where a Fox sideline camera operator was run over.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Buck called him a sound operator twice before correcting himself after the second time.

Tight bunch, those Foxers.

Draft saved Draft deleted