1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Fox have broadcast issues for SB XLV?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 6, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This might be in the Superbowl [/cross thread] thread but at 46 pages, I couldn't wander into it.

Did anyone notice that Fox seemed to be having issues with its replay?

It wasn't just me, she picked up on it first but Fox didn't have a multi-angle replay until the fourth quarter but even before that, on many of the key plays, they either didn't show a replay at all or ran several together before or after a commercial break.

It seemed odd. Like the machine was broke in the truck or something.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

seemed like they had a lot of hot mics on the field that weren't supposed to be.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm used to Fox being No. 5 out of the four networks that telecasts games, so the aggravation was what I see during the season.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

This man wants to know why you ask:

[​IMG]

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I noticed too, but I guess I was just so giddy that I didn't have to suffer through having to listen to Phil Simms It didn't matter as much

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Phil (and, yes, our friend Jim) is 1,000 times than that duo that shoved down our throats tonight.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if Buck is stretched too thin, like Curt Gowdy was toward the end of his time at NBC. But I think even if they did cut back his workload, he might not improve. I thought I heard Fox was talking to Jon Miller after his departure from ESPN and I hope he does it just to give baseball a distinct network voice like it had on NBC's Game of the Week (Gowdy, Garagiola or Scully), even if it means less Miller on Giants broadcasts.

Now, I don't know how much of this was the NFL's doing, or it was Fox's, but the introductions and other things leading up to the kickoff seemed like so much forced patriotism. Yes, the U.S. is at war, and God bless the troops that are there (including TBF), but it seems like more of a contest of late to see which sport can be more patriotic, from "God Bless America" in the seventh inning during the World Series to the family reunions during the BCS Championship Game, which felt like pure exploitation to me.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprisingly - the Fox crew seemed unprepared. I was expecting a flashback to that Roethlisberger TD pass that looked remarkably similar to the Santonio Holmes TD against the Cards. They talked a lot - but said little.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think MLB has milked it long enough with "God Bless America" in the middle of games.

Seeing the Medal of Honor recipient tonight was awesome, but again that should be the stuff of pregame, not during IMO. I think back to when they had Capt. Sullenberger and his crew moments before kickoff at the last Tampa Super Bowl...that was a goosebump moment that even the players cheered for.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

After one of the late touchdowns, there was a strange pause in the telecast where they lingered on a sideline shot when you figured they'd show a replay, then cut to the teams lining up for the PAT, then actually showed a couple of replays before play resumed. Not sure what happened, but it seemed awkward.

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

It was all downhill once Mendenhall ran into "our audio guy" (a man holding a video camera).

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Been watching pro football for 30 years and I've never heard a guy refer (with typical Buck all-knowing righteousness) to "3/4ths of a yard."

Draft saved Draft deleted