1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did ESPN suspend Keith Law from Twitter for defending evolution?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 29, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/28/reporter-suspended-defending-evolution-comes-back-gives-immediate-middle-finger-to-espn/

Couple of weeks ago, in the middle of Curt Schilling's creationism rant, he asked for proof of a fossil link from monkey to man or anything else that has evolved. Law replied with a Wikipedia link to transitional fossils -- and he added, "Seriously, if someone says evolution is wrong because there aren’t fossils between monkeys and men, find a monkey and hit him with it."

And then he was gone from Twitter for a while. ESPN denied that it was because of this dust-up but wouldn't say what it was about. And when Law did return, his first tweet was, "Eppur si muove" -- or "And yet it moves," as Galileo said while being sentenced for heresy.

I know "ESPN is stupid" is something of a cliche on here (and often misused), but come on. Evolution is controversial? Or is it going after that windbag Schilling that's controversial?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

One of the things that causes ESPN to freak out more than anything is one of their employees publicly criticizing another employee, no matter how deserved, no matter how much one side is instigating it.

I think that's what's happening here, but that's just my opinion.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that's right. It's a fine line punishing someone for expressing personal views unrelated to work, but an easier call when someone gets into a public disagreement with a co-worker.

Draft saved Draft deleted