1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Dennis Kucinich commit treason?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thank you. ^ It may not look great publicly, but it's hardly treason.

2. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Not sure what that has to do with what we are talking about...but great post. Now post something about iron ore or fabric softener, that would be about as relevant.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree.

He's a dipshit, and he was open to being used, but I don't think it's treason.

If he was offering to work on Libya's behalf in return for a bribe, hang him. But, Dennis is a true believer.

It sounds pretty analogous to the trip McDermott, Bonior, and Thompson took to Iraq prior to our invasion:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8VLH37G2&

4. YankeeFan

I'm not sure what's better, that you believe this bullshit -- on par with birtherism or 9/11 thruther crap -- or that the site compiling it is the Federation of American Scientists.

Post one on-the-record quote from someone with knowledge of some operation please.

5. I wish there were more Dennis Kuciniches, people who take principled stands against America's perpetual war machine that marches on regardless of whether the man in the Oval Office has an R or a D next to his name

6. YankeeFan

There's plenty of people like that.

Didn't you see the protests that sprang up around the country after we started our campaign in Libya.

The candlelight vigil they had in my town was quite moving.

And, I know some people think that lady -- you know, the one who lost her son in Iraq -- who stood outside of the President's compound in Martha's Vineyard to protest our efforts in Iraq is crazy, and gets a lot more press than she deserves, but I think she's great. Totally principled. Heroic even.

I hope she runs for Congress against Boehner like she's talked about. That will be huge & will get a ton of press for her cause.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here's the not-treason.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/aug/31/libyan-intel-papers-link-ex-diplomat-to-gadhafi-pr/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Funny how a former GOP administration figure would seek to prop up a dictator that a Democratic president is trying to topple. But that has to just be a coincidence.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Repeated for a second time. This guy Welch is a FORMER diplomat. Those cushy overseas posts you get appointed to because you are connected, until you go through the revolving door back to the private sector. At the time of what they are reporting he was a PRIVATE CITIZEN, not an elected official (he has never been one) or working in any government capacity.

His allegiance at the time, was working for Bechtel, a power engineering company, where he covered the middle east and North Africa -- where Libya is located. He had gotten the job obviously, because he had experience in Libya from his time as a diplomat. But he was acting as a private citizen, not the treasonous government official you are subtly trying to turn it into. Bechtel has an interest in Libya -- a contract with Egypt that had them building and designing power plants near Tripoli.

Is his work noble? Trying to protect the interests of his private company by working with a horrible dictator? Nope. But when he was doing that he had NO U.S. government role.

Dennis Kucinich did. He is an elected official. And unlike Welch, who at least was there doing what he was because of an economic interest of the company he works for, Kucinich went over there fishing, hoping to luck into something he could use to attack U.S. policy.

Not treasonous. But pretty slimy. And not on par with that guy Welch, who is OUT OF GOVERNMENT.

Draft saved Draft deleted