1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Dennis Kucinich commit treason?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm reading this story and finding it hard to say no. Either way, he's done.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/docs_bush_official_kucinich_offered_to_help_qaddafi_regime_on_ending_us_involvement_in_libya.php?ref=fpblg

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's a pretty big jump from "Kucinich met with Libyan officials" to "Kucinich committed treason," no? The guy is very anti-war and was looking for documents that Qaddafi was going to step down before the bombings, which it sounds like he didn't get. As far as him being done, the more worrisome thing to him is probably the redrawing of his district again.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Also, the original article is 75 percent about the Bush administration guy, with the bottom portion being about Kucinich wanting documents about the war efforts:

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/08/2011831151258728747.html

4. [​IMG]

Dennis has a very pretty wife.

A very pretty wife.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's one of those "Where's Waldo" things, right? Oh, there's Dennis.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not saying Kucinich committed treason. I have no idea. It sounds like he was trying to work with the Libyans to take a shot at the U.S., though, from the way that is written. It's not like he had evidence of something. He specifically went in asking them to dig up evidence to prove a preconceived notion -- which was anti-American policy. At best that is slimy and dishonest.

As for the "Bush administration guy," honestly I have no dog in this fight in a Republican/Democrat way. I can't stand either of the parties. But from that article, he was well out of government when he was meeting with them, and it's well known that Qaddafi employed American PR firms and lobbyists to try to polish his image here. It sounds like the guy in that article was working as a private citizen, in a PR role for some terrible people. Not the most noble work, but it doesn't smack as badly as the elected official (Kucinich) trying to create an anti-American policy story where he had no evidence of one, by asking the bad guys to give him evidence.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hope someone didn't tear a labrum by reaching so far.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Kucinich is a POS. How anyone can defend him is beyond me. He will rot in hell.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's formally treason, but that seems awfully inappropriate.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

See "October Surprise," 1980.

http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/1992_cr/h920205-october-clips.htm

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dude - THAT was Patriotism.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Treason is the only crime that is defined in the Consitution:

Nothing in the original story amounts to levying war against the U.S., adhering to our enemies or giving them aid and comfort:

If anything it reveals that Kucinich may have been part of an important diplomatic back channel to the Libyan government. Such back channels are a necessity and different members of the U.S. government hold them with every nation that we publicly denounce. If one were exposed, it's embarrassing, but nothing close to treason.

Draft saved Draft deleted