1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Buster Douglas Kill the Heavyweight Division?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Jun 26, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One thing repeated viewings of the Douglas-Tyson fight underscores is that Douglas and his people went into the fight with a genuine sense they could win, and a plan that could work.

Lots of fighters seemed to get into the ring with Tyson looking not to get killed.

But no preparation or plan could account for Douglas getting up (barely) after getting floored, essentially getting saved by the bell and then coming back the next round as if nothing had happened. I'm still amazed by that ... and I suspect that got inside Tyson's head, too.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

HH, I believe that Douglas was in Tyson's head after the first round. Tyson went in without training and thought he could quickly dispose of Douglas. After Tyson landed a few shots he was sure that Douglas would fold. He underestimated Douglas, and knew he would have a fight on his hands. He never went deep into a fight before, and that played into Tyson's head and Douglas's advantage.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

But nobody has ever said "loser and still champion."

Draft saved Draft deleted