1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Brett Favre Die??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pillman, Oct 29, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not even close. He won his conference a grand total of two times and the Super Bowl a grand total of once. Career leader in TDs ... AND interceptions.

The only thing he's best in the NFL at lately is getting his dick sucked by John Madden and the MNF crew.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, that and starting games and winning games and throwing touchdowns.

Silly shit like that.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You can't have it both ways with Favre.

He's not the guy who's done the most.
    He's not the guy who's done the most with the least.

There's literally only one argument: touchdown passes and wins. And even that is lessened, somewhat, by the fact that he's the career leader in picks.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm not saying he isn't great. I'm not saying he isn't one of the 10 best QBs ever.

He's just not No. 1.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I never get the point of these arguments. All you need from any quarterback is that he's good enough to win with your team. Obviously, Elway and Favre both pass that test. Why go into meaningless detail?
    I saw all these guys, going back to Otto Graham, and in my view, Montana was the best I saw. But if I'd been a Dolphins fan and was stuck with Marino, I wouldn't have complained. He wasn't why they lost.
    For the record, when I first went on the NFL beat in 1987, most people in the league rated Marino numer one because that's when it was thought injuries might knock Montana out of the game. Elway was MAYBE third on the list. Gosh, Randall Cunningham was probably most people's pick for third best in the late '80s.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The guy's number one all time in TD passes and games won, not to mention just about every other stat you can think of, and you're willing to throw him all the way into the top ten, huh?

That's big of you.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And attempts.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Buck, you have absolutely no credibility here. I would rank Favre ahead of Elway all-time because of the mind-blowing numbers, but if you're talking about having one game to win and could pick anyone, my top two choices would be Montana and Elway. Overall, Elway was not better than Favre, but when the game was on the line, Elway was better throughout his career. And Elway took inferior teams to Super Bowls; Favre didn't. And the two met in a Super Bowl. Yes, Elway had Terrell Davis, but he was in the twilight of his career; Favre was in his prime. If he's as great as you say, he wins that game. And please, no excuses. The best QB in the NFL at that time, which Favre was, should have been able to overcome any deficiencies. Elway got the best of him in that meeting, plain and simple. BTW, what was the spread in that game?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Aha! Now I can speak to an issue! As an eyewitness, let me assure one and all that the story of Super Bowl XXXII, a most excellent game, by the by, was that Denver's offensive line won it. Their efficient if nasty blocking tactics demolished that tub of goo Gilbert Brown and eliminated the Packer outside linebackers as well. Favre didn't play badly. Elway, aside from that morale-boosting run, pretty much stunk. Doesn't alter his greatness, which is considerable, in the slightest.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's how I remember it. Denver's O-line was just dominant.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

So what you're saying is that Mark Schlereth outplayed Brett Favre.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW, Favre did have turnovers on back-to-back possessions early in the game which each led to Denver scores. Game went from 7-7 to 17-7 in a hurry.

Draft saved Draft deleted