1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did a dozen Oakland cops have sex with an underage girl?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 13, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Oakland PD makes The Shield look like a reality show.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ok, sometimes prosecutors can't adequately prove their cases and guilty people get away with things. And other times people who work for unions do illegal things that keep justice from being served. I can agree with that.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but if David Simon had landed at the Oakland Tribune instead of the Baltimore Sun, he could have written "The Corner" and "The Wire" without changing a single line other than weather references.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Growing up outside of Oakland, I've always felt there was a kinship between the two cities. Both overshadowed by nearby metros (SF,DC), both lost football teams (and got them back). I do wish Oakland had B-more's ability to build new stadiums.

For the cost the taxpayers are paying in salaries, pension costs and legal settlements in Oakland, they shouldn't have to be embarrassed by their PD. The mayor might as well outsource the job or bring in the sheriff's office - the past 15 years have been a nightmare for the OPD.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Poor police officers appear to have been victims of entrapment by a teenage enchantress.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Clearly the victims of a predatory and unstable sexual demanding young woman.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Ace like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Would the baseball fan in the wheelchair on Opening Day been any different?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

One can get surgery in one's teens?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether they broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with their female party guests. They did.

But you can't hold a whole police force responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole police system? And if the whole police system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our municipal institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg. Isn't this an indictment of our entire American society?

Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How else are we going to make America great again?

11. Starman

Sure, if mommy/daddy/LG says OK.

12. Starman

If they actually obstruct justice, there are legal penalties which apply.

If instead they explore all legal avenues available to their client, don't worry, the other side has lawyers too, and usually more of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted