1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Whitman: Great thread starter or greatest thread starter?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He looks like Andre from The League.

JackReacher likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Staunch support of child molesters is distasteful. This thread? Hell, I'm guessing Dick absolutely loves this thread.

JC likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The amazing thing about this thread in my opinion is that it is 3.5 days old, and DW still hasn't commented in it. That is some amazing self restraint.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's like an old-timey political convention, where the man of the hour sends the rabble to sing his praises while he keeps a respectful distance.

BDC99 likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK. I'm going to spell this out for you, since you apparently think apples and oranges are the same things.

I found this thread distasteful because I've never seen a thread that was literally about a poster -- a still-living, breathing and regular poster, who, frankly, contributes a lot around here, that seemed so mean-spirited and yes, distasteful, that was started for no apparent reason besides the opportunity to pick on, goad, insult or embarrass him.

That's a far different thing from whatever I think, or ever attempted to express, regarding a famous family, and this thread can hardly be compared to that one, which, thanks to me and some other people, was actually a decent discussion of an important topic that touches way beyond that famous family.

If Dick "loves" this thread, well, then he's a lot more narcissistic than even anyone here imagines. And don't even try to argue that this thread was started because anybody thought DW would love it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You spoke of distasteful things and I gave you an example. This thread is not distasteful at all and most of the comments about Dick were clearly meant in fun.

I'm not so sure about that last bit. I imagine Dick as being quite the narcissist.

JC likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Geez, this thread is not about me, yet I am starting to feel the butthurt.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This thread is an homage to Dick.

HC likes this.
  9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Whoops my finger slipped.

10. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I misremembered, thought it was HOF poster. I'll go with great thread starter.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.