1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Vitale calling an NBA game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's up with this? Vitale is scheduled to work ESPN's broadcast of the Miami vs. Denver game on Wednesday.

I know Vitale had a short stint as coach of the Detroit Pistons back in the late 1970s, but I can't recall him announcing a pro game on TV. Is this just a publicity stunt, or is there something more to it?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It seems like a publicity stunt, but it's not like it's a different sport. He knows basketball.

3. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

JVG, Mark Jackson and maybe Mike Breen are doing the Duke-Davidson game before it. They're switching for a game for fun.

If I don't stick a fork in my ear tonight, it will be a good night.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I seem to remember Vitale doing color on either radio or TV for the 1990 NBA Finals. It's in the highlights video.

I don't watch nearly as much regular season NBA as I do regular season college basketball. So I'll appreciate not having to listen to Vitale suck up to Duke and Coach K. for two-plus hours.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For one thing, it's the same sport so it's not like Vitale has a learning curve when it comes to learning a different sport.

If he's a true journalist (and the same holds for Mike Breen or Mark Jackson as NBA analysts doing a college game), he'll do his homework before he calls the game. Then again, we all should do our homework before any game we work, regardless of how well we know the sport. It's just what good journalists do.

And behind all that "baybee" and "diaper dandy" catch phrases is a guy who really knows the game of basketball. If he says something totally uninformed, then skewer him. But I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Now he can annoy NBA viewers as much as he annoys college viewers.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Breen, JVG and Jackson on the Duke-Davidson game tonight? OUT-FUCKING-STANDING.

Vitale screaming about Coach K and Stephen Curry for two hours would have been a sure way to fuck what should be an ... um ... awesome game ... uh ... baybeee?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Vitale was as successful running a pro basketball franchise for about 18 months as Matt Millen was for seven years.

But he had the good sense/good grace to get the hell out and find something else he was better at.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They flashed up on SportsCenter that the last time he called an NBA game was during the playoffs in 1984, I think.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll second this. I've heard him before on Jim Rome's radio show, and the guy knows the game inside and out. And that includes the NBA as well as college.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This might actually get me to tune in, whereas I generally avoid NBA reg season and Duke like the plague.

It's a stunt but probably fun for everyone involved. Features section of an old paper of mine once had all the critics switch beats for a week and it was a great read.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I love Dicky V.

Real personality.

He truly loves the game.

The coach-aggrandizing gets REAL old, but I like him.

Draft saved Draft deleted