1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Schaap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RazorShines, Oct 25, 2006.

1. RazorShines

RazorShines Guest

I'm doing a term paper for my ethics class on the career of Dick Schaap. Scholarly information on Schaap is pretty scant, so I'm posting on here to see if anyone has any suggestions for primary/secondary research available on his illustrious career. If anyone worked with him or has a personal story about how he worked, or knows someone who does, or what have you, let me know. Thanks

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dick Schaap is turning over in his grave thinking about the possibility that Michael Kay, Jemele Hill and Scoop Jackson are making appearances on the Sports Reporters show that he made famous...

3. Mizzougrad96

Truthfully, Schaap is one of the classiest people this profession has ever known...

4. RS --
    Schaap was Cornell grad. You might try the library there to see if he left any of his papers to the place. Jeremy's pretty approachable, too. Call him at ESPN.

5. Mizzougrad96

Agree on Jeremy... I always thought he seemed like a pretentious prick on ESPN, but he is actually a great guy. He's done his father proud...

6. Bob Knight would beg to differ .... ;D

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I liked the book he put out on himself before he died. I think it came out in 97 or 98. Lot of good stories in there.

8. e4

e4 Member

http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/alumni/services/tributes/schaap.asp

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

He wrote an autobiography shortly before his death. You might try e-mailing some of the people who worked with him at newspapers or on Sports Reporters, like Breslin, Bob Ryan, Conlin, Lupica, etc. Maybe call ESPN and try to arrange an interview. This is a longshot, but you might try getting ahold of some of the people he covered.

10. Mizzougrad96

I was reading it when he died... It scared the shit out of me...

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jeremy Schaap came to our office a few years back to interview my boss for a story he was working on. While we were waiting for my boss to finish up on the phone I talked to Schaap. We talked some hockey and I told him how I was a big fan of his dad's. It came out like I wasn't interested in talking to him but he laughed and said people wanted to talk to him about his dad all the time.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Here's Kornheiser's obit:

OF ALL the things that Dick Schaap loved -- and he loved sports, and he loved newspapers and television and radio and theater and politics and laughter; he loved good women and bad men, and large dinners with friends; he loved the written word and the spoken word; he loved his work and worked all the time, even when he was playing; he loved famous people and infamous people,

and if you had a piece of gossip or a funny line to tell him he loved you, too -- but of all the things Dick Schaap loved, most of all he loved being Dick Schaap.

And he was great at it.

Schaap, who died yesterday of complications following hip surgery, won three sports Emmy Awards for his work on ESPN and three more Emmys for features on ABC's "20/20" and ABC's "World News Tonight," where he worked for 20 years. He was 67.

Dick was the happiest, most generous, most optimistic man I ever knew. He never had a down day. On any night you could have dinner and drinks with Dick - - rich and full with hope and laughs -- and great stories that would last into the wee, small hours of the morning, and you'd have to leave for fear of falling asleep at the table. Then you'd awaken bleary-eyed the next morning to find Dick had already played two sets of tennis, written three chapters of a book and interviewed a movie star and a batting champion!

All of Dick's friends are having trouble dealing with the news that he died yesterday. Because none of us can imagine him not working.

"I never met anyone who lived every minute of every day as much as Dick did, " Joe Valerio, the producer of "Sports Reporters," said as we comforted each other. Each Sunday for the past 13 years Dick sat on that set and hosted the best sports show on television. "Sports Reporters" is thoughtful, funny, argumentative and literate -- many of Dick's better qualities. Ask Mike Lupica,

Bob Ryan, Mitch Albom or Michael Wilbon (and that's a full orchestra of egos),

and they will all tell you it was Schaap who made the show work, even when he barely said a word. For years Lupica has said, "I've got the best seat in television, right next to Dick Schaap."

Dick was the first sportswriter to make the jump successfully to television,

and what made his television work sound so good was his great writing touch. He had the whole package. Dick could write (he was a columnist at the New York Herald Tribune); he could edit (Dick was city editor at The Trib, and later editor of Sport magazine); he was smart and glib, so speaking on camera was no problem. Dick was a great interviewer.

This summer I was at a dinner Dick was emceeing. I was sitting next to Dave Anderson of the New York Times, now the dean of American sportswriters. Dave was a dear friend of Dick's, and I was saying how I thought Dick leaving newspapers for TV had opened the door for so many sportswriters to earn a living in ways we'd never imagined, and how I was in his debt.

I said something to the effect that the best thing was that Dick was always a journalist, regardless of the medium he worked in. Dave, who's one of only four sportswriters to win the Pulitzer Prize, smiled and said, "Dick's the best of us. He's the most versatile talent. He can do anything, and do it better than anybody else."

Dick Schaap was my great friend, and my mentor. I'm in this business because of him as much as anyone. He gave me freelance work when I was 22 years old; he gave me encouragement at 22, 32, 42 and still at 52. He was a sweet and funny man who had the gift of gab, and the greater gift of putting everyone around him at ease.

The last time I saw Dick was in late August at his beloved alma mater, Cornell. Dick is in the sports Hall of Fame there -- he'd tell you it was more for his sportswriting at the Cornell Daily Sun than his skill as Cornell's lacrosse goalie. Dick loved Ithaca, N.Y., so much that a couple of years ago he bought a house up there, and converted its old horse barn into an office.

We drove to his house for a barbecue with Dick's wife Trish, their daughter Carrie, a sophomore at Cornell, their 16-year-old son David and some friends of Trish's. Dick took me through his office. It was like being in a sports museum. There were 50 years of memorabilia perched on shelves and walls; autographed balls, ticket stubs, book jackets, signed photographs. Mays, Mantle, DiMaggio, Ali, Namath.

I don't think I'd ever seen Dick this happy -- and he was the happiest guy I ever knew.

Draft saved Draft deleted