1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick "Hoops" Weiss among layoff victims at New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, May 8, 2013.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Obviously, there have been a lot of newspaper layoffs during the past five years. Has there been a bigger name than Weiss, though? I'm sure there has, I just can't think of one off the top of my head.

As many have said on Twitter today, if a newspaper can layoff Dick, it can layoff anyone. Tough day.

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

There certainly haven't been bigger manes on the top of HIS head.

But in all seriousness, a damn shame. Love, love, LOVE Hoops. Great guy. If Hoops can get the gate, what hope do the rest of us have?

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Weiss is a good guy. And a better person.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

As noted elsewhere by a mutual colleague, Dick made a lot of deadlines, sold a lot of papers. I'd add: he mentored a hell of a lot of people (including me when I came from Australia and had to be caught up on the college bball scene), broke plenty of national stories, had a rolodex (or whatever) thicker than any playbook and is the nicest guy you'll ever meet on the beat.
    (He's an even nicer person, even nicer than Isola #crossthread :) )
    My heart hurts after hearing about this.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Few things in this business stun me anymore. This is one of them.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As a subscriber to Basketball Times I enjoyed Weiss's work and never want to see anyone lose a job. But how many national college basketball writers are left at a daily paper? More than five?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is just ridiculous. We have a nationally regarded expert doing stuff people can't get from our competitors. Let's get rid of him!

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

My association with the Hoopster goes way back. His departure is a tremendous loss for this industry. I know he'll be back. And gingerbread is right, he is nicer than Isola. :)

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Doubt there's anyone who has as many friends in the business as Hoops. Or as many sources and connections. Really sorry to hear this but am sure we haven't seen the last of him.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And then they want everyone to brainstorm about how to stop circulation from falling and to get more web clicks.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, he bought drinks for your table that time. Let's see, it was you and Jim Murray, and Keith Jackson, and Will McDonough, and John Wooden, and of course Boomer was there with Leather.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Riptide, I worked with this man when your candy ass was learning the alphabet. Stop trolling. Please.

Draft saved Draft deleted