1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Ebersol Out at NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 19, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But the prime-time audience targeted was never sports fans. Ebersol's style of Olympic coverage pulled in a gazillion housewives and old people and others who didn't give a hoot about the heats of 400 meters but really did enjoy the 10-minute twinkle-music piece about some gymnast. I'm confident my mother has never sat through an entire NFL broadcast in her life but she never misses a night of the Olympics.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The fact the Olympics are on tape delay -- even in the same time zone as the host city -- is a joke. As is every midweek first week of July when Wimbledon semifinals are on tape delay in every time zone except the East. No sports should be on tape delay. With so many channels, reair it later if you want, but show it live. People will watch.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Been reading up on Ebersol's career today, it probably makes sense for Comcast. You don't want a guy like Ebersol around saying "We've always done it THIS way" or generally just having a much more substantial list of accomplishments than his new supervisors.
    That said - it struck me that when he received a lifetime achievement Emmy a couple years back he had the "six commissioners" of American sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NASCAR, NHL and the PGA) on hand.
    Granted, he's had great relationships and worked with all six, but with the exception of Goodell, there was a good bet that neither Ebersol or the commissioners will in their current positions in five years, rendering his relationships with them all but moot.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Let's add to the Olympic MIA boxing, replaced by ... beach volleyball? I'm sure it's just a coincidence that NBC no longer has carries boxing and has a contract to cover beach volleyball.

Did "Game of the Week" get the ax under Ebersol's watch?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have heard stories about Ebersol--in two states and about his demeanor in and out of the "office"--that made the hair on my neck stand at attention. "Bad guy" does not begin to accurately describe him. Good riddance to one of the most overrated executives in TV history (quite a field, that).

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

NBC lost the beach volleyball contract even before the AVP folded.
    He won't stay unemployed long. Think a guy who's survived a plane crash gives a shit what Comcast does?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One thing you have to give him credit for, was the basis for original Baseball network. Clearly ahead of it's time and might have succeeded if not for the strike.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Love Joe Pos just as much as anyone here, but Dick Ebersol shoveled a whole lot of bullshit in Joe's direction during his final interview as NBC Sports president and his first interview as a regular ol' citizen:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/05/20/my-dick-ebersol-story/

For the next 45 minutes or so he regaled me with stories about <snip>...and his grave distaste for the way Yankees radio announcer John Sterling calls a baseball game.

You would think someone who treats the listener like an idiot and makes the game all about him would have done a better job with Olympics coverage and NOT put his name up in bright lights in the opening credits of Sunday Night Football.

”The guy at home is every bit as smart as we are,” he said.

Then why did you treat him like a fucking idiot with tape-delayed Olympic coverage and spoon-fed rah rah rah American bullshit the last however many years?

I look forward to the feature, and hope it's not a PK special.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the words of Faith Hill:

Hey Jack it's a fact, Dick left town

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think this will be the trend of the future. Certainly the audience you'll get at 9 p.m. is greater than what you'll get at 9 a.m. And the dollars invested simply demand the best possible time slot in order to maximize ad revenues.

So as frustrated as I get at times, I do understand the vantage point. The goal is to maximize revenues, not satisfy the whims of viewers who aren't paying a dime for the privilidge of watching.

NBC has learned live is better. Thus the changes in scheduling in Beijing and Vancouver to show as many live events as possible, even when it means awkward start times locally. But, realistically, not every Olympics can be held in the US Eastern time zone, so compromises have to be made.

I can see a mixture in the future -- some events live on cable or even pay-per-view for marquee events and then the usual in primetime.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Live is better, but there is also something to be said for people being aware that something really great happened at an Olympics and then wanting to see it happen a few hours later.
    Sure there is nothing like a live event (Olympic Hockey comes to mind) - but when people here a result or hear reports of something extraordinary happening, I also think even if they weren't planning on watching something on delay, they might tune in just from the hype. Its kind of like the viral video phenomenon.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Better or worse guy than Girardi?

LOL. You're too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted