1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Ebersol Out at NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 19, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think he is horrible.

The XFL, losing the NFL (when he said it was way too expensive, then paid more to get back Sunday Night Football), losing baseball, horrible sports inventory...

But that all pales to the "plasuibly live" crap he feeds us every four years for the Olympics. It is an insult to any sports fan with a brain. Plausibly live, and the concentration of gymnastics, night in, night out. Just horrible. Fuck off and die, Ebersol.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jeez, Poin, do you have GE stock or something? And you're overreacting by a mile. He did a lot more to wreck SNL than he did to wreck NBC Sports

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe it was Don Ohlmeyer who hastened MacDonald's exit from SNL, not Ebersol.

4. poindexter

I never watched SNL. I did watch the Olympics. I looked forward to it with a passion. I remember having to sit through a week of gymnastics, Atlanta 1996 (I was home after having a surgical procedure). Ok, I put up with a week of those pixies, now its track and field.

But no - BACK TO THE FUCKING GYMNASTICS ARENA - COMPETETION IS OVER, BUT WE GET ANOTHER NIGHT OF 'EXHIBITIONS'. TRACK AND FIELD IS NOT BEING SHOWN, SO WE CAN SEE THE US GIRLS DOING 'THE MACARENA' IN AN EXHIBITION.

Track and field was presented in 120 second snippets... horrible.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

MPCincal is right. Removed dumb comment. Thanks.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, the Macarena was a pretty big deal back in the day. But anyhoo, I get your point. Covering the Olympics as a sporting competition was clearly not Ebersol's primary interest.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I would say if the high point of your career in TV sports is televising an event that happens only every four years (ghenerally on tape-delay), and/or something that's on TV 18 Sunday nights of a 52-week year, then you have failed.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No doubt the deep pockets of GE helped Ebersol in his efforts.

Comcast business model is a little different I would suspect. Each deal has to make sense on it's own merits. I doubt the can leverage opportunities like GE was able to.

9. poindexter

I'd like to find the tv executive who CAN'T make a success out of NFL football.

And putting his name (and other execs) on the opening credits - the fucking height of arrogance. Like one person in America tuned into NFL football because of that jackass.

10. btm

btm Member

Didn't Ebersol cost NBC $200 million because he overbid on the Olympics (which the coverage was garbage anyways)?

What of note has NBC had in the way of sports as of late? Somehow he managed to get Sunday Night Football back, but an occasional golf tournament, occasional NHL game and other gimmick sports don't hack it.

Notre Dame football was relevant about 20 years ago and they didn't bid/or get anything on the new Pac-12 deal.

On another note, How many of you have ever read NBC's sports website?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NBC Sports carried that network for the last six years. Granted you can argue about how much Ebersol added to the Olympics and Sunday Night Football, but I've got to think not everyone could have found a way to spend LESS than Fox and CBS and get better matchups for its primetime games or get the Olympic committee to schedule events to air them live in the US (Eastern only).
    He could probably make more just consulting with various countries for their Olympic coverage.
    His late-night legacy (SNL and role in the talk-show crap going back to Leno/Letterman) is mixed.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

With the credits, he's just following in the footsteps of his mentor, Roone Arledge.

Draft saved Draft deleted