1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Ebersol Out at NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 19, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Having Sunday night NFL games and the Olympics keeps NBC Sports relevant.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Let's hope not. I am tired of "coverage" that calls for a 10-minute feature on a runner who ends up finishing last in a 5-minute race ... then is shown hours after the race when ya know who won anyway. Was OK before the Internet, an absolute joke in Vancouver, when coverage was delayed another three hours for us West Coasters, and we're in the same time zone as Vancouver!

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

God help us all.

4. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Seconded.

Other than Football Night in America, he really hasn't had a stellar resume lately.

5. JackS

JackS Member

I just hope he takes the moose with him.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, ESPN covers actual events well. It's the other outside stuff that's annoying. And it has said if it gets the Olympics, it will show them live, no matter the time zone, then do a prime-time wrapup on ABC.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Moose is with FOX

8. JackS

JackS Member

Wrong moose. Take the NBC studio tour.

9. Boom_70

I knew what you meant. Just having fun with you.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We must not be watching the same ESPN. Only Fox is more gimmicky and cloying than the World Wide Leader in how it produces live events.

11. Boom_70

It would certainly be a boost to Wright Thompson's travel schedule if ESPN wins it.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ebersol did a tremendous amount for NBC. My favorite OTA network, hands down. The Olympic coverage is his legacy, of course. He also got them the Sunday Night NFL package, Notre Dame football, US Open and Ryder Cup golf, and had the sense to walk away from the NBA right before it became an overpriced pile of garbage. He's the Roone Arledge of this generation.

Interestingly enough, NBC's Olympic deal is done after the London 2012 games. With Ebersol, NBC would continue to be a player, because he'd rather have the Olympics than anything -- or everything -- else. Now, NBC will probably still bid, although maybe not as hard or as high when Sochi/Rio come up later this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted