1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Ebersol Out at NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 19, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Resigns' after he and NBC fail to agree to new contract.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/sports/dick-ebersol-resigns-from-nbc-sports.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This sounds so incredibly similar to Gus Johnson failing to reach contract terms with CBS and then leaving for Fox. Does Murdoch have someone in charge of the Big 12/Pac-12 college football package yet?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is someone going to hire a 64-year-old for anywhere near the price tag that NBC was surely offering Ebersol?

That's the difference, to me. Gus Johnson was significantly more desirable on the open market, I'd think.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ebersol doesn't need the money. He'll start a production company or do consulting or whatever he wants to do.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

NBC now officially "the Dick-less network."

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I didn't realize Gus Johnson had left CBS. He's a terrific play by play guy. Perfect for college hoops.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Certainly has to raise ESPN's hopes for getting the Olympics.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

NBC Sports is irrelevant. Their weekend lineup is a disaster of figure skating, gymnastics, Dew Tour, and other trash sports, except for Notre Dame football, which lately has also qualified as a trash sport, or the occasional golf tournament. I really thought they'd make a bigger play for the Pac-12 TV contract and thus acquire some relevant programming.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Would Ebersol leaving (contract notwithstanding) have anything to do with the NBC/Comcast mega merger deal?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good. I thought he acted like a classless dick during the Conan-Leno deal.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He will wind up at ESPN or Fox, whichever one gets the Olympic TV rights.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is just part of the overall (and much needed) purge of NBC by Comcast following the merger. Comcast has its own sports people. They don't need Ebersol.

Draft saved Draft deleted