1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Ebersol Executive Producer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Oct 21, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why is that jackass's name the first name shown on the billboard for the opening of Sunday Night Football?

I am not sure, but I think it was before the names of the two teams playing.

Incredible. Egos out of control.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

#1 - it wasn't before the teams
    #2 - they've been doing it like Monday Night Football (the ABC version) did for years.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

True, but that doesn't make it any less egotistical. It would be somewhat like putting the publisher's name above the masthead on Page 1.

No one tunes in SNF to see if it's a Dick Ebersol product.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

1970: The opening for the brand-new "ABC's NFL Monday Night Football" had the credits in the opening. First one credited: Roone Arledge, Executive Producer. Ebersol learned from The Man himself.

5. poindexter

Arledge never fucked up a franchise like the Olympics. In fact, quite the opposite.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He brokered the freaking SNF deal for NBC - giving them a shot at having a top 15 show in the lineup every week. If I'm NBC I put his name on the 1st and 10 marker if he wants. I don't know why NBC doesn't dump Zucker and put Ebersol in charge of the network. Outside of sports and news, the networks is fairly worthless. Obviously, Ebersol has a huge ego but you don't get to his position without a healthy helping of a-hole in you.

7. poindexter

Clerk, you are correct.

This is later than 1970, and very cool.

8. poindexter

Then again, he lost NFL for the network 10 years ago.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,987712,00.html

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Oversimplification.

Particularly in the latter years, ABC badly overpaid for the football package, which is to say they couldn't charge enough for ads to pay for the combination of rights fees and production costs.

Some value was recaptured from having a three-hour (or 3:30) device for relentlessly promoting the network's other programming, which created larger audiences for those shows and boosted the rate card.

I'm not sure what the P&L is on NBC's bid, but don't just assume Ebersol made a brilliant move. He may have ended up overspending worse than the Indians on Wayne Garland, the Braves on Bruce Sutter or the Chargers on Ryan Leaf.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe because MNF seems to have less and less to do with the talent on the field and more about the "talent" in the booth.

I'm not a big NFL fan but since there wasn't any hockey I flipped it on a few weeks back and thought after about fifteen minutes, "There must be a football game somewhere here" and "Could you guys STFU"?

Annoying as hell.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

$600 million per year for the Sunday night package, which includes flex scheduling and two Super Bowls.

NBC got the steal of of the NFL network TV deals.

Part of that is a little generosity on the part of the NFL, which clearly wants to increase the worth of the Sunday night rights. NBC will probably have to pay up in five years to keep SNF, but it's a good value right now, especially for a network that needs all the prime-time help it can get.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't care about Dick Ebersol's name, but whoever sings that awful Sunday Night Football song is just wretched. It is worse than the Monday Night Football theme was.

Draft saved Draft deleted