1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Clark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Indeed. I like sick humor, but they lost me during the 1990s when they held a contest for some Aerosmith tickets; winner would be the listener who would eat some guy's vasectomy clippings. With her teen-age children cheering her on in the background, some middle-aged woman accepted the challenge. And I changed the station permanently.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Their idea of being "funny" was reporting that the mayor of Boston was dead. Got them fired.

I didn't have a problem with the cathedral sex stunt, though I wouldn't say that was funny, either. More outrageous.

And Frank, that woman must've been from Bumfunk, W.Va.

3. JackS

JackS Member

Why can't someone else do the countdown? It's not like Dick Clark invented the countdown or has a patent on it. I agree with keeping him on the show in an "emeritus" capacity, but not embarrassing himself with botched countdowns or scrapping the countdown just because he can't do it right.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

It was sad to see Dick Clark that way because he always seemed eternally young.

My first thought was that he shouldn't be doing it any longer, but then I thought of a couple of things.

1. It is difficult to see your parents getting older too, but it is still good to see them.

2. Even seeing an ailing Dick Clark is better than seeing a healthy Ryan Seacrist

Draft saved Draft deleted