1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Cheney was vacationing in Canada?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 7, 2007.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Hunting season returns to Wisconsin soon and the cattle are very afraid. It's hard to tell a 200 lb deer from a 1000 lb side of beef.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've had grouse and it's not bad. Famous Grouse scotch is bad.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a little gamey, yes?

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

It's a documented fact, in this state anyway, that 70 percent of all upland bird hunting accidents are caused by an action called “swinging on game.” That's what happened to Cheney, and that's likely what happened here. It's when a hunter is swinging on a bird, the bird comes between the shooter and another hunter, and the shooter pulls the trigger when the bird and other hunter are aligned. It's not at all uncommon, unfortunately.
    It happens to anyone who might be a bit too zealous to make a shot and not pay attention to the background. Hell, it happened to the director of this state's hunter education program. Bottom line is, pay FUCKING attention to what you're doing. Once you pull the trigger, you can't take it back. You have to face the consequences. No do-overs. It's not like fishing, where you can unhook the fish and release it.
    More and more people are taking to the field who have been through hunter education programs and have passed, yet still have no business being in the field. I am a certified hunter ed instructor, but I don't teach anymore. I got fed up with it after I saw some of our recently graduated students shooting doves from the back of a pickup truck while driving down county roads. You can teach and preach all you want, but it's up to the individual to put those lawful, safety and ethical lessons into practice.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Was it just that they weren't wearing seat belts? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted