1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Cheney recovering from heart transplant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Mar 24, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

This might be the best post of all-time.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which only makes it bigger news, regardless of the politics.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Whichever argument is more convenient, eh?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Privelage gets you a new heart at 71. A regular Joe likely would have been told TS.

5. YankeeFan

Yeah, but soon, with socialized medicine, we'll all be able to get new hearts, right? We'll all get the same level of care.

Former top government officials will be just like the rest of us then.

6. YankeeFan

From the Chicago Tribune Reuters:

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This proves if you have money you are more valuable to the world. You think a bum on the street with his heart and health history would have a chance in hel! at getting a transplant. Heck, NO! He should have died like the bum would.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Significant numbers of patients older than 70 qualify for transplants. Hearts and lungs are especially finicky. Not only do you need oo qualify medically, have the right blood type and also be in the same region as the donor, but you also have to be the same size. Kidneys can be fit into any abdomen, but heart and liver need sized to fit intothe recipient chest cavity.

While connections may make a difference in medical care, I don't believe that this occurs in the transplant world. The scarcity of organs and the transparency of the waiting lists make for a fair distribution.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never thought about the size of the patient & donor being an issue. Makes sense though.

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

How did he get one then? His heart is two sizes too small.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Connections make a difference in getting on the waiting list. I have no doubt money and notoriety play a role in getting a transplant.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-24/health/liver.transplant.priority.lists_1_organ-transplant-liver-transplant-united-network?_s=PM:HEALTH

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31509368/ns/health-health_care/t/did-steve-jobs-wallet-help-cut-transplant-wait/#.T2_gBhB5mK0

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love to believe this is true. But if it is, that would represent a tightening of the system in the last 10 years, since a Yakuza boss and three of his underlings jumped the line to get new livers at UCLA Medical Center.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/may/30/local/me-ucla30

The four surgeries were done between 2000 and 2004 at a time of pronounced organ scarcity. In each of those years, more than 100 patients died awaiting liver transplants in the Greater Los Angeles region.

Not trying to say anything is wrong with the Cheney case, but I think it's naive to say this system can't be manipulated.

One thing I did read yesterday is that older patients have a better chance of getting what in effect are B-list organs -- they wouldn't qualify to be given to another patient with a good chance of survival, but if they aren't being used anyway, they'll turn to the high-risk recipient group figuring it's worth a shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted