1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Cheney recovering from heart transplant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's right. I guess if I ever slowed down to think about it, I would have realized he's as young as he is. Just never stopped long enough to put 2 and 2 together until now.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I would like to know if he paid for that out of pocket or via government funds.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The most surprising thing to me about Cheney's background is how highly regarded he was within the press corps during the Ford administration. He wasn't just respected, he was almost beloved.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He leaked like a Bulgarian disposable diaper is why, LTL.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's the biggest part of it, but even the administration thought his congeniality helped them. Vanity Fair had a long story a few years back that detailed his key role in an elaborate prank the press corps played on one of their own.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I predict a radiant rosy-cheeked Cheney will take a brokered GOP convention by storm when he strides to the podium with a spring in his step.

We've got a few months to figure out what he's going to say.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Old enough to defer again and again and again and again and again.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The organ procurement and transplant system in the US is not perfect but it is as fair as it can possibly be. People on the transplant recipient list move up and down depending upon their underlying medical conditions. The patient moves down if they get somewhat better with medical care and move up as they become more ill. The chance is greater if the donor organs are from the local area since they first offered locally, then regionally and finally nationally. Even the most famous celebrity usually has to wait their turn and because of that celebrity, people question the fairness adn egalitarian nature of the system. The bottom line is that there are more people on waiting lists than there are donor organs available.

For an alternative opinion, consider this recent interview from Macleans magazine this month http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/03/13/on-the-debate-over-when-life-really-ends-and-the-possibility-cadavers-can-feel-pain/

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wonder what his co-pay was with that sweet civil-service insurance.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You beat me to it.

Still waiting to employ that line, one last time.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

With all due respect, if it weren't about politics this would not be newsworthy. We're talking about one of the most divisive figures on the world stage in generations.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Not only that, but what if he'd died? Then could the knives come out? They certainly have on other RIP threads for divisive figures.

Draft saved Draft deleted