1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dice-K Coverage teetering on Imus levels?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Apr 12, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

There are Japanese Dunkin' Donuts signs at Fenway Park, T-shirts with Japanese on them in the Sox' souvenir store, Japanese signs behind home plate at Fenway, Travel Agencies catering to Japanese tourists in the city, and a general mania about a Japanese pitcher coming to the Red Sox. I have absolutely no problem with the lead. Matsuzaka's first start was supposed to be all about Matsuzaka, and the fulfillment of months of Japanese-related hysteria. Hernandez successfully doused all of that with his performance.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, the lede was very lame and overly contrived, TKO. Good call.

But offensive ... only to journalists who abhor bad ledes.

3. turnovers

turnovers Member

I think they found every Japanese fan in the crowd at Fenway and zoomed in on them constantly last night.

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

i don't see why somebody would want to take a shot at the japanese media. they're trying to do their jobs like everyone else. if it's a "pain in the ass" for american media members, it's no easy task for the japanese, either.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I'm scarred for life from all the coverage... I'm going to go ask some presidential candidates their opinion on the subject...

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I have no idea what this means in relation to the question of the thread. Care to explain better? What would the month of September have to do with this lede on this story on this game in this month?

7. KP

KP Active Member

The Red Sox didn't drop nine figures to bring in Nomo.
    Also, last night was multiplied considering who was at the plate when Dice-K took the mound. Two of Japan's biggest stars getting together.

8. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

It was a surreal, circus atmosphere at Fenway last night--the only thing comparable, at least in terms of an overall vibe, was Pedro's return last season. It dominated all the local newscasts at both 6 and 11. Mert hit it right on the nose--I'm not sure the vibe nationally, but here in New England, it was legitimate full on crazy. One of the best things about the whole night was the fact that the Japanese media was tougher on Matsuzaka last night in the postgame presser than the Boston media--they asked him several times why he didn't throw Ichiro more fastballs.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I don't think it's offensive at all.
    I also don't think it's that bad ... I mean, not great by any means, but not bad. The game was billed as a battle between two Japanese stars, and a non-Japanese player stole the show.
    I think it would take an awful lot of stretching to make this look racist at all. That lede told most of the story with one sentence.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

There is enough racism in the world. More than enough. There's no need to reach anywhere to find it.

11. Hey man, don't pick on Boots. He has every right to make worthless, nonsensical postings any time he wants and to be as big of a horse's ass as he wants to be without someone calling him out on it every time he does it. So don't be hating. (Do I really need the blue font here?)

As far as the story, I can understand why Matsuzaka was in the lead ... he was supposed to be the story and he got upstaged ... that makes it an even better story.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought this thread would be about the oversaturation of Dice-K coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted