1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dice-K Coverage teetering on Imus levels?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Totally Krossed Out, Apr 12, 2007.

1. From the Globe...

Felix Hernandez upstaged Dice-K, Ichiro, Johjima, Mitsubishi, sushi, and anything else Japanese at Fenway Park with a one-hit, 3-0 mastery of the Sox.

Am I being oversensetive or does this teeter on insensitive? Or is it just poor writing? I mean, what would happen if Roger Clemens outdueled Johan Santa and somebody wrote...

Roger Clemens upstaged Santana, Rivera, Cano, plantains, rice, beans and anything else Latin at Yankee Stadium with a one-hit, 3-0 mastery of the Twins.

2. Dodgy, for sure.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

About elves and reindeer?

4. Touche....I should really give postings a quick read after writing them rather than rush them out there so I can get back to work.

But it's just a message board, right?

Anyway, you get my point.

5. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I don't think it's insensitive, just stupid.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

Dice-K doesn't even need to be in the lead at all. Henderdez threw a one-hitter at a usually potent lineup-that's the lead.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ah, finally I part ways with the mild Irish laddy.

Didn't see anything wrong with it PC-wise. Mitsubishi and sushi are hardly slurs. Nor are the words Ichiro and Johjima. I suppose writer was poking fun at the Japarazzi media culture.

But realistically yes, the King should have ruled the lede.

8. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

In a Boston paper?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, the first two words of the Globe story were "Felix Hernandez," so I suppose they got the best of both.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The lede's not a slur but it's also not funny. However, I can see wanting to take a shot at the Japarazzi (nice term, btw) if I was at Fenway yesterday.

Having seen Japanese media descend en masse at other events it must have been a massive pain in the ass to get your job done there yesterday. I could see why somebody might want to take a shot or two.

11. OK, perhaps not offensive. But lame, especially coming from a sports section that is supposed to be among the nation's best.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Boston have a sizeable Asian population? It's not like Dice-K is from Mars. Nomo threw a no-hitter with the Sox, so it's not really a big deal.

And at spring training, at least, the American media was just as bad as the Japanese media with Dice-K. I mean, reporters waited for him at the airport to do a story on him landing in Florida.

Maybe I'm just sick of the oversaturation of Boston sports in the national media in general. The Celtics tanking has been a bigger national story than pretty much anything else in the NBA this season because high-profile writers like Ian Thompson and Bill Simmons have their Boston ties.

12. boots

boots New Member

It's April. Wake me in September.

Draft saved Draft deleted