1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dibble Canned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 1, 2010.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Does this mean there was a point in time when you were proud to be a Nationals fan? And if so, why?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not McNulty, but I'll take a stab at it.

It's fairly well known on here I'm a big Nationals fan. Am I a happy Nationals fan? No. Some moves have baffled me, the team is nearing the end of its sixth year and is no better (actually worse) than it was when it started. The team may be cursed (see Strasburg, Stephen and John, Tommy surgery).

Am I a proud Nationals fan? Hell, yes.

Why? Well, they came to my hometown and brought back one of the joys of my youth when I used to go to tons of games with my brother (my father died when I was pretty young). It was always tons of fun, win or lose. Since the Nats moved to D.C., I've seen at least 150 live major league games - in 10 different cities. In the 33 years Washington didn't have a team, I don't think I saw 30 games.

I go to the park a lot and sometimes they surprise me and win. I've never experienced anything like being at Strasburg's debut (yeah, how'd that work out for you??). Usually, they lose. I sit there and bitch and moan and whine and kvetch and, still, I've had a great afternoon or evening.

I'm not a bandwagon boy. I'm from there. If people want to be bandwagon fans, fine, I've just never understood that. What's YOUR connection to the team? Mine is I grew up a D.C. area kid and still consider it home even though I've lived 70 percent of my life 120 miles south.

Not sure that makes sense to anyone else who isn't a fan of their hometown team that currently stinks.

I also take solace in the fact that they're not the Mets. I've seen the Mets four times this season. That team I watched on TV yesterday was not the Mets team I saw earlier. Stunningly, though I don't think it WILL happen, the Nats can actually catch the Mets this season. Winter-long wood, my friends. We take our victories where we can find them.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

I miss following the Nats, and Moddy knows why, but the little I listened to Dibble, I knew he was going to say something to get himself canned.
    Not a surprise, 2 seasons.
    I'd hire Jim Kaat, former Senator and the best analyst in the biz. I miss him on YES.

Draft saved Draft deleted