1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diana Krall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dawgpounddiehard, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Little help...

My old man wants a few of her CDs for his birthday coming up. Any ideas on her best ones? I saw on iTunes there is a live CD, how is that? Also, what are her better studio albums?

Thanks!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Buy any of them. They all sound the same.

As someone said about her (and I paraphrase), "Billie Holiday went through hell so we could end up with this?"

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm with you, JR. Her shit all sounds the same. She's skilled but soulless. I take lots of heat among my jazz friends for not liking her, but I just can't get on board. Plus, she has bitchy eyes. Even when she's smiling, she looks mean.

Now Holly Cole...there's a Canuckistani crooner I'd be happy to keep warm in the winter. :)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I bought her first CD and thought, "Well, this is OK. Kinda white bread-ish, but OK". Second album was when I realised the overwhelming mediocrioty of her stuff.

But it's the record industry: if you're blond, good looking and can hold a tune, you're a step ahead of the pack--even those with ten times more talent but not as good looking.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's a shame that the jazz milleu, supposedly brainier than outher musical subcultures, can dumb down with the worst of them. But the popularity of Krall is an example of this.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Happens in all mileu. Have you seen the crap on the classical charts? ::)

7. John

John Well-Known Member

The live CD is quite good. The cover of Just the Way You Are was better than I expected.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Thanks for all the tips. My dad heard her sing a duet with Tony Bennett on a couple of his albums and always talked how he likes her, but that he doesn't have a CD by her. I figured I'd pick a few up of her's for his B-day.

Right now, looks like the live cd is a front-runner...

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

If you want a non-live choice, "The Look of Love" is solid, but again I will echo the rest of the guys in that one is pretty much all you need. But vocal jazz is really hurting right now overall, so I'd be less inclined to badmouth Krall, but she certainly isn't anyhing special.

Interested in hearing opinions on Jane Monheit, since this is the first jazz-related thread I've ever run across.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isn't she a brunette? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

What are y'alls thoughts on Madeleine Peyroux. I've got one of her albums, haven't listened to any others. Is she in the same category as Diana Krall, or would y'all consider her more talented?

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes ... kinda has a Katherine McPhee looking going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted