1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DHK Sports (Upstate S.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by redsox8, May 9, 2021.

1. redsox8

redsox8 New Member

DHK Sports, in Clinton, S.C., is a year old, founded in the teeth of a pandemic and muddling through it with its first website, LaurensCountySports.com. Now we are expanding and we need young journalist/entrepreneurs to grow with us.

Electric City Sports, dedicated to nearby Anderson County, launches soon. Furman ATT, a site for Paladin sports, is next to launch, by summer’s end. Another site is on the drawing board and we hope it will be operational by basketball season.

We are trying to provide coverage for fans left behind by the decline of newspapers specifically and the written word in general. We are also committed to growth and promoting from within.

Caleb Gilbert just graduated from the University of South Carolina with a journalism/mass communications major. He has been a stringer who has taken a more and more significant role in LaurensCountySports.com since he came on board. Now he is the general manager of the Electric City site. Not only can this work for you. It’s the plan.

Newcomers will be required to wear a lot of hats, especially at the outset. The first priority is writing and editing, but it will be necessary to shoot photos and videos and, particularly at the outset, establish a solid foundation by selling ads at a generous and continuing commission. By fall, the jobs will make a transition in the direction of editorial content, but the first priority this summer is going to be building an ad base and establishing working relationships within the sports community.

What you don’t know, we will teach you. We will prepare you for greater roles within the company and also for taking this experience to wherever you want to go.

Write me at montedutton@dhksports.com or call me at (704) 913-1143. Feel free to send a resume and samples of your work.

The first step you should take, though, is taking a good, long look at LaurensCountySports.com. I think you’ll be impressed by what you see and want to be a part of it.

Monte Dutton

DHK Sports

P.O. Box 768

Clinton, SC 29325

maumann likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this gig but I’ve always been impressed that Monte Dutton, a NASCAR guy from NASCAR country, is a Red Sox fan. That’s all.

3. redsox8

redsox8 New Member

Lifelong. My old man visited Boston as a kid in the summer because his uncle was stationed at Fort Devens. He idolized Williams. I grew up with Yaz. Had he started rooting for the Boston Braves, they would have moved to Atlanta when I was 8. But he didn't.

maumann likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Should we tell him about the NASCAR thread?

playthrough likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't be a stranger around here, Monte, and good luck with the site(s).

maumann likes this.
  6. redsox8

redsox8 New Member

Much obliged. I need to jump in here on occasion. My general manager and I have been going through applications. We'll be making a hire soon, I hope. And another when we can afford it. It hurt the free-lance market when a bunch of a people such as I started flooding it. I think the only way to prosper is as an entrepreneur. I think there is a market and a void in coverage. I reckon we'll soon find out. So far, so good.

maumann and wicked like this.
  7. redsox8

redsox8 New Member

I should update. I've got a 22-year-old general manager, recent graduate of USC, and a 22-year-old reporter, recent grad of UConn, and they're recruiting part-timers at various schools. This is a bit of a precarious time because we've expanded to another site (ElectricCitySports.com) and preparing for a third (FurmanATT.com) by summer's end. I am proud that I have inexplicably been able to attract such gifted young journalists to work for and with me. If we continue to build with quality, more expansion is ahead. I have no full-time jobs to fill now, but I encourage interested journalists to send your information to me and I'll keep you in mind. My goal is to fill a void and fill it well.

TigerVols and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted