1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM latest to drop the axe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 2, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The SoCal group has its Lakers writer in the Orlando bubble. If the $55,000 fee by the NBA is correct, that is a decent chunk of change the group had to come up with.

2. So newspapers now have to pay to get access. I don't care if we are in a pandemic. That policy will undermine independent journalism now and in the future. Just look at ESPN's pseudo coverage of the NBA.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It includes room, three meals a day and testing.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I refuse to contribute one byte to a paper that decides I'm not worth working for it. Luckily that's only happened one time so far.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Presidential campaigns bill newspapers for seats on press busses, planes and meals - the newspapers insist on it.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Who gets the blame for that? Not the layoff freelancers.

Whose job is it to make everyone feel valued?

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Not everyone has a choice.

However, after many years freelancing I've chosen to retire rather than continue with the particular company in my area. I feel like it's the right thing, but who among us can criticize those who must continue because of finances?

8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

But what when the fired person continues to produce content for their former employer because of his/her ego? You know, the need to have his/her opinions heard.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

How often does that happen? I've been in this industry for 35 years and I've never witnessed a person who I know do that. And I've witnessed plenty of lose their jobs.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Some media companies' severance agreements prohibited freelancing for prior employers until after those payments ran out.

Some of my former colleagues took our institutional knowledge to the competition, which hurt. But non-compete agreements are difficult to enforce -- and it's not anyone else's business how they pay their bills.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The one Gatehouse made me sign said I couldn't freelance or apply for jobs for their publications for two years, which struck me as excessive. Of course, I pretty much had zero interest in working for them again anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted