1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Preps doesn’t usually play on Wednesday, but a few days out from the start of the state playoffs, there’s surely something good worthy of writing.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You look at a lot of print editions and even if they do have a decent page count, they look a lot like the old "bulldog" editions of Sunday papers. Large blocks of random wire copy to fill pages.

Fran Curci likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There is some preps something every day here, although it did rain a ton on Wednesday. That said, the funny thing about that is Thursday is when the huge preps coverage used to happen to lead into the weekend. Advances, features, whatever. We've talked in other threads about preps going away and maybe there just is no demand, but it's amazing the change in a relatively short time. Not that the DP has anyone to cover it anyway.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

After the Nuggets lost the play-in game with the Timberwolves the Post moved their Nuggets reporter to the Broncos. With so much space given to the NFL draft- justifiably because the Broncos are the number one team in terms of fan interest- Nuggets stories have been sparse, much less preps.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Fucking-A. How awful is it when the Dean of Cutbacks quits, too.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dean Singleton introduced the slash and burn model to our industry. Good riddance.

Maybe his resignation is tied into an attempt to buy the paper.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I hope to hell they run a mug shot of a guy from Philly with this story.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Singleton gutted other papers to keep the Post competitive. He really should have no voice in this argument.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Fredrick would like to SINCERELY congratulate all the good reporters and yes, even the suits, at the Denver Post and RMNews who have made this profession proud. If you check out the tweets, reporters and editors alike are commenting on Twitter as these horrendous decisions of the hedge fund owners continue to stain the industry. They aren't Fredrick-like classless insanely mean comments, but they are CRITICAL nonetheless. It takes guts to do that if you want to keep feeding your kids and paying for their clothes and education. If the hedge fund people are noticing, I'm sure a lot of people will be fired. But there have been a lot of resignations and a lot of ensuing negative tweets against the hedge funders and I sincerely applaud those taking a stand in Denver and at the sister paper in Boulder. You people should be proud. If all suits were like some of these folks who have resigned, I would not be as angry a person as I am.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

We're hiring two Broncos reporters. Fredrickson is colleges and Mizell is Nuggets, but we thought it was better if they covered the Broncos during the draft rather than not cover it at all (and they friggin crushed it). Newman is the No. 2 Rockies person right now, but still working on preps coverage/GA feature -- there just isn't a lot going on right now until high school playoffs hit later this month. More reader interest in Rockies than preps, and Patrick (or anyone) trying to cover an MLB beat alone is just not something I want to see a reporter have to juggle.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Mr. Stephens the whole country applauds your news organization. You are what's right with the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted