1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Its Colorado properties — headed by The Denver Post but including 11 other papers that have received short shrift in the coverage of the protests — drive 22 percent of those profits, or $36 million. On its own, the group drives a 19 percent margin for DFM. That makes Colorado DFM’s second-largest profit driver.

Leading the pack is the Bay Area News Group, headed by the Mercury News. Over the same time period, BANG cashed in $41 million in profit, spurred by a 21 percent margin.

Most astounding within a decade of unending bad business news for newspaper publishers: In seven years, Alden has doubled its Bay Area News Group profit (including its main Silicon Valley properties, but not others on the region’s outskirts) from $20 million to $40 million. In 2011, its profit margin was 7 percent, one-third of what it is now. And in that time, the group has shed about 220 newsroom staffers, now down to about 160.

2. Slacker

Story also had a nice photo of Citizens Bank Park ...

[​IMG]

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think this came from a Ken Doctor column. In the column he makes the point that he does not know what went into the numbers. For example do 2017 expenses only include cash expenses or do expenses include depreciation, which is a non-cash expense?

I pulled the 2017 numbers for McClatchy, which had revenues of 903,592,000. Total operating profits were 42,165,000 and depreciation was 80,192.000 for a total of 122,357,000. So if we assume that the expense number excludes depreciation and interest then DFM made about 36,000,000 more on a bit higher revenues. Even Gatehouse only had operating profits of 34,613,000 and depreciation of 74,394,000 for a total 109,007,00 on revenues of 1,342,004.

So I think the numbers above do not include depreciation as an expense.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Slacker

Yeah, continuation of the Ken Doctor column in the previous post.

5. LanceyHoward

As near as I can tell the Denver Post has six sportswriters and is looking for a Broncos reporter. They seem committed to staffing the Broncos and Rockies with two reporters apiece. I would guess they would have a Nuggets beat reporter and a hockey reporter. Kizla is the columnist. So that is seven.

Which leaves no one else to cover anything else. While the Post receives CU and CSU material through content sharing are there any plans to cover high school sports? Does any large, local American paper not cover high school sports at all?

6. Slacker

Maybe one reporter doubles as backup for Broncos and Rockies? That would free up one job for preps, etc.

7. LanceyHoward

In the ad for the Broncos reporter they did not mention a rotation.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Preps ain't shit anymore, guys. Deal with it.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mark Kiszla, columnist
    Patrick Saunders, Rockies
    Gina Mizell, Nuggets
    Mike Chambers, Avalanche
    Kyle Fredrickson, colleges
    Kyle Newman, high schools

Broncos job is open.

10. LanceyHoward

But after the recent departures to the Athletic Newman has been helping with the the Rockies so it seems like the Post is keeping two on that beat. Mizell and Fredrickson are currently covering the Broncos. The recruiting ad said that the vacant Broncos job would work the beat with someone else. So if/when they hire the Broncos reporter either Fredrickson or Mizell rotate to the Nuggets.

11. MileHigh

I glanced at the print product this afternoon while getting a sandwich and Newman had a Broncos byline. Zero preps in the tiny section.

12. MileHigh

Draft saved Draft deleted