1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Can you inagine the shit the Rockies beat writer is going to hear from all sides? Just when your credibility couldn't get lower and you couldn't be more embarrassed to be working at a particular compantly, the bar gets lowered.

I'd be more pissed at the mealy-mouthed bullshit "production error" excuse.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was a production error, though, right?

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The photogs must be really pissed, too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't see how that foto made it on that page. Do the stadiums look "kinda similar?" (Both HOK designs) Perhaps if you squint - but I have to think there was a file name of Coors Field that isn't spelled anything like Citizen Bank Ballpark. And even THEN, with a photo that big, the press people would have said - wait our color must be way off because this looks more red than purple.
    Which paper used an old foto of a player no longer on the team for a hockey preview section?

5. Slacker

The Ultimate Visitors Guide to Coors Field

1. Fly to Philadelphia.

6. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

Can you imagine the fun the Rocky would have with this?
    Sigh.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Pretty ballsy of @denverpost:

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Maybe the Post did it on purpose to embarrass Alden.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And there's that pesky scoreboard that says "Phillies," as noted in another thread.

Years ago, there was a paper that was doing a cover story in lifestyles on skating and used a bunch of photos off the wire of girls skating. Unfortunately, no one notices until too late, the girls were the ones who, later the night the photos were taken, were tortured to death in their hotel room at Yosemite.

10. Slacker

You can't just dial up a photo from the archives. You actually have to verify its authenticity. That should be obvious, especially in this era of far-removed design hubs, but the workload and pace probably had the designer moving too fast.

Now, of course, will come the corporate memo saying: "We must do whatever it takes to eliminate errors in print."

"These are exciting times for newspapers!"

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's not only an 11-year-old photo, it's a Getty photo, not one from their archives or -- gasp -- something fresh, especially with a new left field scoreboard this year that's designed like the Rocky Mountains.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's what I don't get, as a copy editor/designer. If it was an archive photo that was, say, mislabeled and no one checked it, I could possibly see the error. But with it being a centerpiece story, how would an 11-year-old wire service photo get attached to the story/page?

And, you know, proofreading — aka some of the "fat" that's been cut out of budgets.

studthug12 and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted