1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dexter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Don't know if anything could top last year's twist, but I'm looking forward to the finale.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This season has been great after a slightly slow start in having Dexter deal with the aftermath of Rita's murder.
    However the season finale looks like it's going to be great.
    I think the way that Dexter get out of all this is going to be the blood on Chase's shoe/sneaker from when he was walking around the van and didn't notice the blood coming out the back. I also think that Chase won't say anything about knowing Dexter was there in an attempt to win back Deb's trust.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Do you mean Chase? Or Quinn?

4. I have thought this season has been terrible, which is bad, because I have loved Dexter. The writing has been awful, and the plot lines have gone nowhere until the last few episodes. Remember the gang that Deb was chasing? Or the Trinity killer's son being approached by Quinn? It's like they're writing from week to week instead of constructing episodes within an overall story arc. Add to that the numerous kills outside Dexter's code, which makes it all the more unbelievable. The guy kills an innocent at that boat gasoline station, and yep, it just goes away. I have found myself rolling my eyes at something (or multiple things) in every episode this season.

The best part of this season has been Peter Weller, until this past Sunday, anyway. Too much LaGuerta/Angel, too much Deb/Quinn and too many plot points that lead nowhere. I have little faith that the finale will be much better.

Sorry to be a buzzkill. I still make it a point to watch Dexter on Sunday nights, but it has just about lost me this season.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

If Dexter doesn't get arrested in the finale, I'm out for next season. I'm sure he won't so ... I'm done with Dexter.

I agree with you John T. The Santa Muerte storyline was a huge waste of time. Deb has always been on my last nerve since Season 2. While I like Batista, I hate LaGuerta, and their whole storyline. The whole Quinn-chasing-Dexter plot feels like rehash of Doakes from Season 2. My eyes rolled when Dexter and Lumen hooked up, and now they're all lovey-dovey? Give me a break. Julia Stiles is a good actress, but her early work this season was a bump above a flatline. Jonny Lee Miller, however, has been a fantastic bad guy this season. Another thing that bugs the heck outta me -- He's got a baby and he's out all hours of the night doing his bad stuff, just dumping the baby on the sitter. C'mon!

Now, having said all that, I do think the last 3 or 4 episodes have gotten better.

I thought last season was superb. Best season perhaps, though the first season was great too. I really thought Dexter was losing it last season and thought we would see a more maniacal, out-of-control Dexter this season. Sigh. But no.

The previews for next week make it look like Deb "catches" Dexter, but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Last season started slowly, but about halfway in, when Lundy was killed, it got great. Each episode was an intense ride, all of it ending on that incredible season finale.

This season has been nothing like that. I don't care about Quinn, whose storyline has been a much more boring version of Doakes (one of the best characters in this show's history and was killed off too soon). I don't care about the Nanny (who has no problem just up and spending however many days in Orlando until Dexter gets his shit together?) or the kids. I don't care about Santa Muerte because it wasn't appropriately fleshed out. I don't care about Angel or LaGuerta (who, I think in every episode, has that look of realization when someone yells at her, like she's finally realizing she's a flawed person and a subpar boss). And, worst of all, I haven't cared much about Dexter, whose attention to detail, cleanliness and perfectionism have apparently been lost as he hurriedly kills all his victims in the same way: with a knife to the heart. What happened to the cleaver or the electric knife or the chainsaw? He seemed to enjoy killing, and that twisted side of me enjoyed watching him do it. Now? Eh. Get on with it.

It's almost as if the writers, who lost their primary show runner after season 4, threw about 15 plot lines out there and finally had to commit to one. Yes, it has been considerably better the last three or four weeks, but before that, it was miserable. Recently, it has just been average. Season 1 and 4 were just fantastic. Season 2 was good. Seasons 3 and 5 were/have been just plain bad.

I'm afraid that this show has run its course and, without a major shift in direction, such as Deb finding out about Dexter or him getting arrested, it's time to schedule the series finale. If it does continue, they need to find writers who can actually write.

7. EStreetJoe

I meant Quinn... got names mixed up while typing fast while at work and not supposed to be here.

8. imjustagirl

Hahahah it's fine. I assumed. But then I was like "When did Jordan ever have Deb's trust?"

9. imjustagirl

I don't care how many people are over this show. I love it.

10. EStreetJoe

Solid season finale. Not great, but very good, very satisfying.
    I still love this show.
    Season 3 was byfar the weakest season, but this season was very good.

11. imjustagirl

I'm very meh on the ending. For about 55 minutes, I was edge of the seat. Then it just felt forced. Meh.

But this was very good. Agreed on season 3. I physically hated that season.

12. EStreetJoe

Interview in EW with the Executive Producer of Dexter about the Season Finale..
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/13/dexter-season-5-finale-the-big-one-sara-colleton/

(Side note not related to the interview -- let's hope Season 6 begins in the fall - after the kids have gone back to Orlando)

Draft saved Draft deleted