1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dexter Season 6

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Uh oh.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So since I couldn't find a Season 7 thread, I guess this is where I should post my thoughts now that I FINALLY caught up on the show.

I liked this season. Liked. But it was far from good. (SPOILERS ENSUE)

I hate what they've done with Deb. The Deb they built up in this show would have NEVER tolerated knowing there was a murderer loose and getting away with it. Further, no way would the Deb of Seasons 1-6 have done anything in that final scene but call for backup and let the police figure it out.

As much as I might be able to buy Deb looking the other way this season, out of some warped desire to bang her brother, in no way, shape or form would she have shot Maria. Not when, by all accounts, Maria was literally doing her job in trying to prove Dexter was a killer.

That and the entire Quinn angle from this season, where they just completely made him worthless, were on the verge of unbearable for me.

That being said, I absolutely LOVED the Hannah-Dexter storyline. It was a perfect and welcome addition to his character ark and was executed perfectly from beginning to end. The one extremely minor complaint I had with it was that she did poison Deb. Would have been WAY cooler if Deb poisoned herself to get Hannah out of the picture.

I also LOVED everything to do with Victor. It was so nice to see a competent villain motivated by nothing but revenge and coming after Dexter for a justified reason. Loved the whole build to that and the seemingly friendly terms the two came to.

LOVED the development of Dexter as a character this season and his clear longing to be normal.

So overall I'd say it was an OK season. If I had to rank them, though, it would still be: 2, 1, 4, 6, 5, 7, 3. (Loved the battle between Doakes and Dexter and thought that killing Doakes off was, is and will remain the show's biggest mistake.)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think Hannah DID poison Deb. Most things I've read agree with me.

4. schiezainc

I don't think she did either and I think it would have been MUCH cooler if Deb poisoned herself but I don't see how/why Hannah would admit to doing it and, if she didn't, why she wouldn't have taken care of Deb for real if Deb really did set the whole thing up.

I just thought there was something beautiful about Dexter finally finding a girl who could accept him for who he was ... and why that was a terrible, terrible thing for all involved.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm glad next season is the last. Going to be interesting how they resolve the LaGuerta death.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that. It's just my humble opinion, but I find the seasons have gotten progressively worse.

I'm hoping they just kind of used this season as a throw-away season knowing they had one final season to blow it out of the water.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this season more than last season, but it still paled in comparison to seasons 1, 2, and 4.

I was in the camp that Deb poisoned herself to drive Dexter away from Hannah and was surprised when Hannah confessed to Dexter that she did it for them.

I loved Victor as an adversary for Dexter - one purely motivated by revenge and blood lust. I liked the way that they became allies at the end and how Dexter brought Victor out to the dumping ground (although how he'll get all that blood off his boat is another story).

I sort of like the Deb storyline. When last season ended with Deb witnessing Dex doing a killing you knew something was going to change. After she helped her stepbrother/brother by adoption cover up the killing in the church she was forced to go down a different path. Unfortunately that path meant going against everything she believed in for love of family and romantic love - since both were how she felt about Dex. At the end, she shot LaGuerta because she knew if she shot Dex and saved LaGuerta, LaGuerta would still hang the accomplice tag on her unless she confessed to knowing that Dex was the Bay Harbor Butcher in order to clear Doakes' name. The shooting went against everything Deb stood for, but she was too afraid of being part of another cover-up to just walk away.

It will be interesting to see how they sort this out. Deb is too nervous a person to stick to a straight story (even if Dex somehow recovers her bullet and goes with his plan) because there will be questions regarding why did she call dispatch asking for LaGuerta's location.

Hopefully they're able to have a strong final season -- especially since Hannah is still in play and wanting Dex.

One more comment on the finale -- it was great seeing Dokes back - they killed him off too soon. His interplay with Dexter was one of the best parts of the first two seasons.

8. schiezainc

Agreed. I've always felt the biggest mistake this show has made thus far is killing Doakes off too quickly. Although, to be fair, those episodes with Doakes in the cabin in Season 2 are some of my favorite ones of the series so at least it wasn't a complete waste.

9. Season 8 to be last.

Draft saved Draft deleted